Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone replacing valve cover gaskets has had this issue I'm sure. Cleaned the gasket and the groove to eliminate oil, but the gasket is too long. It's a new felpro.
D8849DD0-F3BF-4F32-8E18-D762B3BDFB13_1588520453891.jpg
Tried dabs of rtv in spots to hold in the gasket and it just keeps falling out, and it's really just...too long!

I've tried to stick it in the freezer to shrink them, I've used a heat gun to try to shrink them. No luck. Can't use superglue to hold it in simply because it's too long!

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Return it and try a different brand or get OEM Ford , Matt.

Ed

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahahaha, thanks Ed!

Got a new one and it worked. Surely the material, design, and cost makes it a reusable gasket?

My biggest problem I’ve seen is that once they’re tightened, they’re done for. Are they intended to be reusable from ford? and if so do the aftermarkets not get that word?

I realize if they last several 10k miles once, that’s fine, but if I’m pulling valve covers say, once maybe twice a year, $60 a set is a hard pill to swallow!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I silicone the entire gasket into the v-cover groove then they can be reused easily enough. Hell, I siliconed cork gaskets to v-covers and reused them for years before they needed replaced.

ks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I was using the bbk covers, I’d just make a bead around the perimeter and done.

Even with a new gasket, I had to install the passenger side cover twice because random stuff kept pulling or pushing the gasket out of the groove during installation.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Kevin has got the fix again, Matt. Take a new gasket and a cleaned cover (use a solvent that leaves little to no residue, lacquer thinner or acetone?). As soon as the solvent evaporates, glue the new gasket to the cover and you will be able to reuse it for longer than you will keep the car — assuming you keep it a long time. :)

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts