Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so dave at kauffman motorsports is telling me i might have valve float.

stock valve springs, stock valves, no headwork, hp blower cams, novi 2000, 10.5 compression.

the motor is coming out to work on the lash adjuster clearances, so should i get some new valve springs while im at it.

thanks, Oliver

im on a tight budget, so im only buying these things if i absolutely need them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You have 4v heads, cams and intake. You can't compare it to a 2v. If a 2v reaches 500 rwhp it's still flowing better than your 4v. No flame - just saying a 2v and a 4v with the same mods are still apples and oranges. You sound like you have 2v envy. heheh j/k :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oli- springs in general are designed to last a very high number of cycles before failure, IF, they never travel beyond the recommended travel distance. If you do travel beyond that, they will die quickly. In other words, Once compressed to or close to the yield point, springs lose load capacity and do not return to their original length.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brent whats your point. Im just wondering if i need new springs. stop getting technical with me :D im not sure if i need them to make more power.

cams are about .475 lift, 275 intake, 280 exhaust duration, 114 centerline i think.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, you need springs. Any time you get a cam with more lift than stock, you need springs designed to last a bazillion cycles at that lift. You probably are getting some valve float cause your stock springs are probably taking a crap. They werent designed to last at that much compression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts