Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing some steering wheel shimmy with the skinnies on the front but I figured they just needed balanced so I didn't think anything of it. But I just put the stock wheels back on and hello major wobble and shimmy. I hung my head out the window and I can visually see the tire going in and out 1/2'' or so. Now I consider myself a fairly decent mechanic but I can't figure this out. New wheel hubs, tried two different sets of wheels, everything tightened evenly and correctly. Now what can cause this!?! To make it worse, both front wheels are wobbling. Took a dial indicator to the rotors and they are slightly uneven but not enough to cause this kind of visual movement.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the problem. This little piece was mounted on the hub, I overlooked it because it didnt seem out of place.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I believe those are your Hub Centering rings. They use them to adapt thewheel opening to fit the hub on the spindle. Ford wheels are hub centric whichmeans the wheel centers on the hub and doesn't use the lug nuts to center them.The ring you show should go back into the wheel to fill the gap so the wheel ishub centric. I hope the above made sense. Take off the wheel and see if thoserings fit on the little raised edge on your hub. If they don't fit then maybethey put them in so the wheel would fit another car. If you just hung the wheelon the car and tightened the lug nuts maybe you did not get the wheel mountedon the hub correctly

I believe those are your Hub Centering rings. They use them to adapt thewheel opening to fit the hub on the spindle. Ford wheels are hub centric whichmeans the wheel centers on the hub and doesn't use the lug nuts to center them.The ring you show should go back into the wheel to fill the gap so the wheel ishub centric. I hope the above made sense. Take off the wheel and see if thoserings fit on the little raised edge on your hub. If they don't fit then maybethey put them in so the wheel would fit another car. If you just hung the wheelon the car and tightened the lug nuts maybe you did not get the wheel mountedon the hub correctly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts