Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pulley down to a 3.1 with stock longblock and if so, how long it been holding together? Thinking about pulleying down from the 3.3 i got now. Am I crazy or think it will hold for awhile?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I had a 3.2 on my novi 2000 and it let go first time i got on it in the cold. I was around 425hp / 390tq in the august heat so im figuring it be possible to get an extra 20 or so hp with a 40-50 degree temp drop

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the 3.1 pulley on mine for over 10k miles before my motor popped but that happend because my meth bottle went empty during a 3rd to 4th gear pull. That was my fault not the engines. As long as the tune is good, I don't see a problem if you are intercooled or meth injected (with something in the bottle).

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I had the 3.1 pulley on mine for over 10k miles before my motor popped but that happend because my meth bottle went empty during a 3rd to 4th gear pull. That was my fault not the engines. As long as the tune is good, I don't see a problem if you are intercooled or meth injected (with something in the bottle).
You shouldnt need meth at those power levels. As far as i can tell so far a rod broke which is due to power not tune. I think anything over 400 is pushing it and whether you last or not seems to be hit or miss. I wouldnt up the power til you have the money to build a new block if it blows.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used meth because I didn't want to do an i/c at the time. A rod could still blow due to detonation. Anything over 400 is pushing it although many people have done it for long periods of time with a good tune. I agree you shouldn't push it past 400-450 unless you are prepared to do engine work just in case.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I run a 3.0" / 15psi. Put 10k miles on it this summer like that. Good thing I am doing a forged lower swap as we speak. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm with this chump ^^^^ 3.0 pulley 14/15 lbs on the gauge, so far so good (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm lookin like i may try the 3.1 pulley and cross my fingers too lol, what kinda timing you guys running, any idea?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
16* on the street. 19* at the strip, with 2 gal of 112 added for safety.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I run 12-13 lbs on a 3.1 RR pulley thru an icevex interecooler,16 deg of timing.This in a blow thru set-up. 421 rwhp,I have been running it like this for about 5000 miles. I also ran it at 9 lbs un-intercooled before that for about 5000 miles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I went about 3k miles (full summer of racing) but I think my bottom end was a little weak to begin with. I lost cylinder 8. I was only making 10lbs with my I/C but I was bursting at 436rw with a bunch of timing. If you've got a healthy longblock and i/c or meth then you'll be ok if you have a good tuner.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a 3.2 making 11# at 6100

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
right now its making 13 lbs @ 6500 w/ the procharger 3-core ic. Hoping to make 13 lbs closer to 6000 rpm

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've had my 3.12" pulley on my 00GT for years now. Just make sure you have a good tune and don't beat on the car every day ;-).

·
Registered
73 Posts
lol, i'd like to see you not beat on your car everyday chris.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts