Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday is going to be 3 weeks since my car has been at the dealership for the engine knocking. My car since I purchased it is only 7 weeks old and has 1200 miles on it. Since I have had my car there I have yet to get a call from the service advisor or anyone from the dealer to let me know what is going on with my car. So I went over with a friend to see wha is being done with my car. I had a talk with the shop foreman and the tech who was working on my car. The tech right away told me that I had voided my warranty since the computer showed signs that a chip had been installed. The tech said once you mess with the computer you automatically void your warranty. The shop foreman said that Ford had request pictures of my car to see if they were goint to approve the repair or void the warranty (that's what the shop foreman said). I had explained to shop foreman and the tech that how could signs of a chip being installed in my car do anything with the motor knocking in my car. Then he tells me like if I don't know anything about cars that once you install a chip that your make more horsepower than the motor can handle. I felt like telling him then if that's the case then everyone that has had a chip installed is going to have there motor knocking sooner or later. Then I ask him if he knows ho long it would take to find out what will is going to be done about my car and that if a Ford Tech has to see the car in person that the only tim they can send someone is on the 29 of July. That 28 days of when I took my car in. So all I can do is wait and see if Ford is going to approve the repair or void my warranty. If anyone can help me out with any information on how I can get results with my car or what rights I have. I tried to look at a post on SVT about the FAQ and what the law states but could not locate the site. If anyone can give me the correct website so I can do some research please post it. Also has anyone had there motor knocking and taken it to the dealer for repair? If so what was the outcome of taking the car to the dealer? Someone please help I can't see myself taking my from the dealer after paying 37K and having no warranty. I know that I had no doing in the knocking of my motor. I was with my girlfriend and maybe was going about 45 mph when this happened. Not all car are going to come out perfect without any defects.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had let the car cool down a bit and started it up again it sound even worse than when the car had warmed up. I think I forgot to mention that my car is all in stock form at the dealership.

·
Registered
223 Posts
you all need to get together to show that this can happen w/ or w/o a chip... compare your cars. build dates, engine builder names, etc... anything you can do.

but yes, there are people out here making well over 500 RWHP & don't show any signs of knocking...

and w/ only 1200 miles, thats BS.

just because you installed a chip doesn't mean you used it.
how can ford prove that you actually *ran* a chip?!?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
If they fudge on making the repairs under warranty , take the car back buy a new untampered with pcm and make sure the car is stock as a rock and take it to another dealership!

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Casper, I am sorry to hear that you are going through those headaches.

I can understand what the shop foreman has told you. I completely agree that signs of a chip installed would void a warranty when dealing with an injured engine.

It's not that a chip makes more power on the engine...we all know that these engines can handle unspeakable power. But put yourself in Ford's shoes. You come in with a hurt engine. You had a chip in the car. A chip can modify your tune in ANY WAY. They don't know if your tune was safe or not. For all they know, the tune made your A/F 16:1. You can put a chip in your car that will blow the motor in one tenth of a mile.

What I would suggest is that you get your car out of that dealership immediately. Tell them that you have a personal emergency and must postpone the service work.

Then purchase a replacement computer with your same PCM code. Put EVERYTHING back to stock. Then take the car to a different SVT dealership for the work. It may or may not work but it's your best chance!

·
Registered
652 Posts
It probably won't work. When Ford voids a warranty, it's voided everywhere. The first thing a dealer does when a car comes in, is run an Oasis report. This tells you the warranty status. If they void it, the other dealer will know right away. Second, if they don't void it there will still be a record of your previous visit and the outcome. If they have to call for a Ford Rep. to come out, they will know it's the same car. Sorry, Ray

·
Registered
198 Posts
Casper did you have a chip in the car before you brought the car in? In your post you don't come right out and say you had a chip in the car although there is a discussion about a chip possibly being used.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
When it comes down to it, you took a risk by modding your car. You gambled and lost this time. It sucks. I feel bad for you. Ford will void it. You can bank on that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CuLater I bought the car new and I'm sure that there wasn't a chip when I got it. But I'm no saying that I didn't try a chip in my car. HAMMER I did buy a new computer and did install but I guess the computer has to be programmed or flashed by the dealer. Since I only have two SVT dealers to choice from I didn't want to take the chance and take my new computer to try to get it programmed. When the new computer was on the car it wouldn't start and we knew right away that it had to be taken to the dealer for programming. Now don't they have to prove that you had wrongful doing in the modding of the car. And that's what caused damage to the motor. What would be the best way in handling this with the dealer or the Ford rep. If they VOID my warranty what do you think my chances are if I hire an attorney. As far as the car having a bad tune I know that wasn't the problem. The same chip I tried is now on my friends car and is still going strong. No problems with his car at all and that's because his car is just for racing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't kill the messenger, but it states specifically, in the warranty section of your owner's manual, that installing a "performance enhancing" chip will void the powertrain warranty...

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I diasagree, Eric. Ford can void the warranty for no reason at all. All they have to do is say, "Your warranty is void". It's up to YOU, not Ford, to prove that your modifications did not cause the damage. Ford doesn't have to prove a damn thing. They have all the proof they need with a blown engine and chipped ECU.

Capser03, why don't you quit trying to hide the fact you chipped the car and blew it up with a chip in it.

You look stupid saying "I bought the car new and I'm sure that there wasn't a chip when I got it. But I'm no saying that I didn't try a chip in my car"

Of course there wasn't a chip in it new. And of cousre you ran a chip, that's why you're here asking these questions. Quit trying to be a sneaky little bitch, and step up and pay for whatever you broke.

People like you are why Ford is so VOID-HAPPY. You are trying to pull a fast one on them, and they already caught you.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
This is a good discussion.

IWRBB, you make a good point about warranty and risking the VOID. But let's take it easy on Casper. He's already facing a void warranty and doesn't need to be brow-beaten about it.

The fact is that we don't know what hurt his engine. We do know how many guys run around with a chip and no problems. His engine failure could be completely unreleated, although installing a chip does have it's inherit risks.

Let's please keep it friendly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why did the new computer come not programmed? I thought when you order a new PCM, you must tell them your code. This will ensure the right program for your specified car. Something doesn't sound right here.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
I diasagree, Eric. Ford can void the warranty for no reason at all. All they have to do is say, "Your warranty is void".
I stand corrected, however if it goes to court, it would have to be proven.

Here is a good source of info, on the laws - http://www.treasurestate.com/diesel/mmwa.htm

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Yes, he'd have to take Ford to court.

I just got a little irritated by the way he's wording his posts.

He has ran a chip, with who knows what program on it. So yea, it might just be a bad bearing, and in that case, it's goning to be nearly impossible to win with Ford because of a chip that had nothing to do with it. And that's too bad.

But he chose to take on responsiblilty for that bad bearing thousands of miles before he had to when he chipped it.

Everyone knows a chip voids your warranty. C'mon. Like Blue'03 mentioned, it's right in your warranty book.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
CuLaTeR said:
Why did the new computer come not programmed? I thought when you order a new PCM, you must tell them your code. This will ensure the right program for your specified car. Something doesn't sound right here.
Im sure it did come programmed with a code for the car to run, but they dont come programmed with PATS which is the anti-theft security, a good locksmith should be able to do it though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts