Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tearing the car down on the top. the tube under the blower is spewing fluid. putting on the FORE rails I bought years ago on finally while i got the blower off. want to put a new water pump in while I'm at it. I recall buying one one time and the pump was too short. there are 2 pumps that they keep saying goes to our cars. I believe it is the 85MM version that truly belongs on our cars? correct me if I am wrong. thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
9,680 Posts
There are two different pump lengths, Will. For simplicity, one is short, and one is long. You want the short pump for a Terminator.

All pumps are not created equal. When Ford did the FGT 5.4L engine, they used an improved scroll profile for the FGT water pump to get the 55 GPM flow figure they needed for heat dissipation at 550 FWHP. For the most part, that scroll design never found its way into the production versions of the shorter 4.6L pump, with one exception. That exception was the EMP pump. The 4.6L EMP pump is still available today from Cobra Engineering with that improved scroll design. Here is the link => 4.6L EMP pump

The electric IC pump you see is also an EMP invention, again done exclusively by EMP for the FGT intercooler system. It blows the doors off of all other commercially available intercooler pumps. Here is a graphic comparison of commercially available IC pumps done by Ligenfelter.
Slope Rectangle Plot Line Font

That maroon line floating a mile above everyone else is the EMP pump! The EMP pump's stunning difference in pump flow makes a significant difference in intercooler performance.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Evans water pump also has a scroll design, not sure if they are being made anymore

·
Administrator
9,680 Posts
Evans water pump also has a scroll design, not sure if they are being made anymore
As luck would have it, Evans, Stewart, and EMP pumps are the same manufacturer. I think Evans and Stewart may be the names they want to use for their mechanical water pump product line. I believe EMP is their electric pump naming preference and also corporate name.

Ed

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Unfortunately Cobra Engineering is sold out of the "short" EMP water pump for the '03 Cobra.
Just tried to order one.

Ken

·
Administrator
9,680 Posts
I am sure James has some information on when his stocking order will arrive —unless of course EMP is sold out ....

Reactions: mercenvy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts