Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just switched to a 97 cobra sra..it is 3/4 inch on each side narrower than my irs was and a 99-04 sra.. what proper wheel backspace do i need to correct this.. i know my 18x10.5 saleens with 315 bfg's rub my inner fenders now..

·
un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,448 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how will the 6.5 backspacing work? i only have 5.5 now on my saleens and they rub the inner fenders..isn't going to 6.5 moving the wheel even closer to the inside? i need to move it further out towards the lip.

·
Registered
756 Posts
6.5 will bring them in even further.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A 10.5 wheel with 5.5" backspace will most likely stick out of the fender (because that would mean you have 6" of wheel on the outside of the mounting surface (gotta take into account the extra .5" of lip per side on the wheel thats not in the "width" measurement)). I would suggest measuring what you have and make sure it is actually 10.5" wide. An 18x10 replica Saleen from American Muscle has 6.3" of backspace. If you are unsure, take off your wheels and measure the car from the mounting surface to various points of your frame and inner fender. I would highly suggest measuring both sides (not just one) because you will get different measurements from each side. It would suck to get a wheel/tire combo that is CLOSE on one side and into the inner fender on the other. With your shorter rear, measurements are probably the best way to decide on wheel specs anyway.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Since you used a 97 rear and its shorter 5.5 back spacing would be the way to go i'd think if it was a 99 newer solid i'd say 6.5 on a 10 10.5 in rim

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx..i just dont wanna buy rims have have them settin in like my saleens are...i liked them pushed to the outside..if i was thinkin bout mini tub then yea i would go with a big backspacing but i dont wanna cut on my car at all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts