Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you that go to have something done under warrranty, and have modded cars, and leave them modded. Why do you do this? I am buddys with some ford techs, I have had my modded cobra worked on under warranty, but when it comes to certain issues like anything related to the motor, trans, fuel, etc...

I just don't understand the logic some of you use while attempting warranty work like that?

If someone could please reply and tell me what some people are thinking taking a modded car to a dealer trying to get warranty work?

A chip can be related to almost any driveline related issues.

Seriously though, what gives?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Because other people are cranking 30lb's with a KB and spraying 150-175 shots and not having any failures when my car with with stock blower is having failures left and right. I know I got a bad car, I don't have the greatest luck. Ford won't stand behind the crap they build. I don't feel I should have to play these little kid games of hide the mods, and cross my fingers.

I payed 40 grand for this car and in the less then a year I've owned it I've had more dissapointments then happiness.

I took my car into the dealer the first time moded because i thought it was a fuel pump and it turned out to be the fuel pressure sensor.......

And the second time for the head replacement.....

Both times my mods didn't matter because of what was being performed. Going in for a head replacement and finding out it's a bottom end failure .... I had no clue.

Besides, even if I returned it to stock thats no gaurantee ford wouldn't find another reason to void my warrantee.

Hell I've already accepted the fact of what type of company ford is. They're more then happy to take my money, but then give me the shaft when the car fails.

I'll take this into consideration when I purchase my next vehicle, and most likely ford is looseing a life time customer.

I own 4 fords, my passed father owned fords, hell I race fords, i wear a ford jacket, I love fords.................

And look what they do to me.....

If ford doesn't care about 1 customer .......... then it's clearly obvious quaility isn't job #1

·
Registered
282 Posts
I feel bad for you guys with all your warranty issues, BUT I really don't think you can expect Ford to do warranty work on a modified car. When you pop in that chip or press on that pulley, you pretty much have decided to kiss your warranty goodbye. It really doesn't matter if the specific failure was caused by your mods or not. Once you modify the car, you have to assume your warranty is gone. It sucks and I don't think it is right, but that's the way it is.

Flame suit on.....

Kevin

·
Registered
105 Posts
Two words... Magnusson-Moss Act ..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I hate to say it, but I agree with Kevin. It sucks. But Ford built the car the way it was with that warranty. They didn't build a car to be modded and warrantted. I also believe that legit warranty repairs that are being revocked is making a mockery of Ford's reputation!

Brandon

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with Kevin that once you modify heavily with a pulley and chip you have to be prepared to eat most problems that may occur with the engine and drive train - unless it is totally unrelated and a known issue with a TSB. I can't understand anyone taking a car into a dealer with a 2.8 inch pulley and chip and expecting to have an engine or HP or torque related issue fixed by Ford. No other auto company is going to bend over and take it either!! What do think a Mercedes or BMW or Corvette or Ferrari dealer is going to do if you took a heavily modded car back into them with any kind of engine or drive train problem????

Use your heads guys!!

Gord

·
Registered
145 Posts
undy said:
Two words... Magnusson-Moss Act ..:rolleyes:
Do you really think Ford cares about that? How many of us can afford the legal fees required to make Ford care about it? Not many. Even if we did, Ford would just settle and still come out ahead by screwing the rest of the customers who can't afford to go to court. A large corporation like Ford wouldn't even blink at a law suit filed using the M-M Act nor would they change their behaviors. Do you think politicians are going to help when their pockets are lined by PAC money from the big three? If you want your warranty, don't mod the car PERIOD. Otherwise you are taking a risk...

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
1CEBITN said:
If you want your warranty, don't mod the car PERIOD. Otherwise you are taking a risk...
Then get it voided because of tread depth. Or some other equally ridiculous reason like having a red tint to your plugs that ford claims indicates octane booster was used, (in this case supposedly no octane boost was used, but if it was, why would it void a warranty anyway?)

Ford obviously should vigorously defend itself from fraud, but they shouldn't void warranties for frivolous reasons, either.

JT

·
Registered
46 Posts
I waited until I was happy that the car did not have any major defects before I decided to go the "no turning back" modification route. I had over 12K miles with a catback, CAI, and a confirmed pig-rich dyno sheet.

I would never try to de-mod and take back in my car for service if there was a remote chance I did something to break it. Now, if I have my car completely modded and the radio breaks.... do I expect Ford to fix it? Yes, of course. If I break a half shaft stock do I expect Ford to fix it? Yes. Now that I'm modded and I break a half shaft? I get out my CC and call my mechanic, telling him to expect a shipment of a replacement shaft.

Now, and I've given this some consideration, would I de-mod to have a TSB performed? My answer is probably. I have an engine built before the Nov 2002 cutoff. I have the tick (since day 1). I am concerned. Do I need Ford to ask a bunch of questions an possibly void the warranty because they are refusing to replace a defective item? No way man. If I did de-mod and have a TSB applied, I would run the car stock for at least 5K miles, in order to make sure the car is in good operating shape. Then I'll re-mod.

It's good ethics. I modded the car, if I break it, so be it. If something dies due to it being defective... well, I'm going to protect myself. So far, I live with the tick and I know its up to me to repair the stuff I break.

John

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's been the same issue since before the 5.0 days. Heck, the 289 HiPo version of the old original Mustang came w/o a warranty. Not a bad deal if it's cheaper.

Also, there are a lot of warranty issues that may not be related to the motor. Brakes, interior, radio, etc.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I recently blew a hole in my differential cover [wheel hop in second exiting a corner on my way home from work. Lifted but too late]. I expect Ford to warranty it and they are. I did however get a call from my dealer asking what I was doing. I told the truth and they said ok. The service manager did say there was rubber in my wheel wells which there isn't. I've never had anything but the F-1s on the rear. [GSD3s on the front for hydroplaning/daily driver]. I've never had drag radials or slicks and my only mod is a drop in K+N. It doesn't take mods to break these cars. A cold day and momentary lack of traction/traction will do it.

There's been enough written about the IRS for me to believe that it is too wimpy for even stock power. I wish Ford had offered optional rear end packages such as a beefed up live axle or stronger IRS. I guess I can't get on the car unless I want to risk breakage.

So even stock, you have to worry about things breaking. I don't enjoy having to explain why I should be covered with my stock car either. I feel like a criminal explaining to the police that I didn't do anything wrong.

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
I'm thinking I have had no problems with receiving excellent service from Ford. Even with the Kenne Bell and longtubes. I paid for an extended warranty, and I am very honest with the dealers I have chosen to go to about my mods.

BOTTOM LINE:

If a stock car has the tick, your modified one with a tick should be covered.

If a TSB is out on all cars, take your modified one in.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Why do people act like we are out to cheat Ford with our modded cars???? I mean Ford can get away with selling a Cobra that doesnt make its predicted power(and they don't fix it until everyone complains about it), yet you add a CAI, a throttle body a bigger mass air meter and a cat back, and ford is so quick to say go f**k yourself. I'm afraid to take my new 4x4 f150 offroad because of the fraudulent practices of Fords dealerships. The bottom line is, it isnt Ford....its the dealerships. They get paid less to do warranty work than to do out of warranty work. They are taking a chance that most people will just take it and hand them the credit card, when in all reality you may just be able to take the vehicle to a dealership who gives a shit about it's customers. They sell you a performance car, and they tell you to drive it like a lincoln. Burning tires off...I did it in my dads ranger(back in the day) and the thing never broke....same with my 99 cobra and my f150...maybe ford just isnt building a stout enough car. Maybe THEY ARE TO BLAME. Why don't they go ask supra designers how to build a car whose driveline wont fail??? They forgot to overbuild and here people are left with a 40k car and no warranty. And for a dealership to tell you they wont fix something like a tick when you have a mod, or the guy whose rear -end broke.....oh shit i forgot they stepped on it. Did they do this with 70 boss 429's? did they do this with Boss 302's? Is ford selling high-performance vehicles with the intent of it being driven by 80 year old women? Or are the dealerships taking advantage of the MOD, and tryin to get an extra penny from you? It's enough to make me wanna go out and buy a focus or something...at least then i dont have to worry about voiding my warranty because i stepped on it...welll unless i have an SVT Focus :-(

It just goes to show you, People will try to make a penny off of anyone if they think they wont fight it.

F**k Ford dealerships

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
lethal said:

It's good ethics. I modded the car, if I break it, so be it. If something dies due to it being defective... well, I'm going to protect myself. So far, I live with the tick and I know its up to me to repair the stuff I break.

John
I agree completely.

gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts