Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cams would you reccomend for the modular 4.6L? I have a 03 GT that I would like to add a little more power now untill I am ready to get the Kenne Bell blower. I don't know the modulars as well as the pushrod's so I don't know how differently the mods respond to cam swaps.


My requirments, it has to be streetable and I want to be able to pass the sniffer test here in CA. I will be spending most of the time between 1500-3500rpms due to this being a daily driver and lots of time on the freeway. I will have 3:90's or 4:10's installed. I don't do the 1/4mile that much because I prefer Auto X, so I hope that helps with reccomendation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Usually if your going to add a blower, they recommend that you use a blower cam. There are many different aftermarket cams for the 4.6. Comp cams and Sean Hyland motorsports make some of the more popular cams in the community. There is a sticky on this board with info on how to order a custom comp cam at a group purchase price. Good luck with your combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
N/A our heads and cams gained 130hp and 114tq last week. Our blower cams gained 87hp with untouched heads. Just an FYI.

Jim
team VT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Didnt mean to leave you out. Hell, I didnt know you did cams. Learn sumthin new every day. :D You said 130 hp? Wow, thats quite a bit. I take it thats not the same as doing a P&P with your cams on PI heads is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
stanggt00 said:
Didnt mean to leave you out. Hell, I didnt know you did cams. Learn sumthin new every day. :D You said 130 hp? Wow, thats quite a bit. I take it thats not the same as doing a P&P with your cams on PI heads is it?
Ya. Our CNC ported PI heads and our wild n/a cams
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
OOOOhhhhh. My heads were CNC ported by L&M engines, and I'm putting in a SHM mild race cam. Should find out tomorrow what it does on my setup. Only thing I am missing as far as bolt ons go is upper and lower intakes. I am getting the new C&L upper soon. Should be some sweet numbers.

Quick question. How aggressive was the tune? I know that the shop doing my tuning is fairly conservative, trying to coerce him to bump it just a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VTEngines said:
N/A our heads and cams gained 130hp and 114tq last week. Our blower cams gained 87hp with untouched heads. Just an FYI.

Jim
team VT
Well I am going to ask, how much of a gain on a untouched NA head? AND do you have any dyno's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Yes info on a untouched stock head N/A what kind of gains??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
stanggt00 said:
OOOOhhhhh. My heads were CNC ported by L&M engines, and I'm putting in a SHM mild race cam. Should find out tomorrow what it does on my setup. Only thing I am missing as far as bolt ons go is upper and lower intakes. I am getting the new C&L upper soon. Should be some sweet numbers.

Quick question. How aggressive was the tune? I know that the shop doing my tuning is fairly conservative, trying to coerce him to bump it just a bit.
A/F was 11.1 to 1 and tiiming was set at 20 deg. NO RETUNING WAS DONE ....SO IT WAS A DIRECT APPLES TO APPLES COMPARISON. Now lean it out a little and throw some timing at it and I would safely say you could get another 20+hp and 20+ lb/ft..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
silverstangs said:
Well I am going to ask, how much of a gain on a untouched NA head? AND do you have any dyno's?
Prior testing has seen gains of about 40hp for the heads...so the cams make up the difference. We have both engine and chassis dyno's.

Jim
TEAM VT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
VTEngines said:
N/A our heads and cams gained 130hp and 114tq last week. Our blower cams gained 87hp with untouched heads. Just an FYI.

Jim
team VT
I don't know anything about cams....what are typical gains N/A from other cams ( SHM, Comp, etc)
 

·
Yup....still on top!
Joined
·
2,055 Posts
Not really sure what other Comps/SHM are making. I'm sure their websites may have some #'s to judge by. Our mild n/a cams were designed to work with stock/slightly ported heads. The wild n/a cams were also designed for daily driving, but with more radical upgrades to the heads, and a good intake for optimum results. Thanks.

:D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top