Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What color are your tailpipes inside?

Just wondered what some of you were seeing...Most 03's I see are either black or brown to a gray....but when my car goes to white...like the old days..I really think that is too lean in my book. Whats your take on this?

Right now with my 4 lb lower and 3.00 upper things are a redish brown ...mainly from my 112 octane fuel that I have been running mixed with 94 octane 50/50. Before this last setup..my pipes were starting to go white with the 2.80 and 6 lb. (which I would think would mean ..lean)

I know I have to get a a/f fuel meter on this car and a dyno session..but for now..I just want to be safe.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
White means stay out of boost...
Get that car dyno tuned..If my car ran that lean? I'd go get it tunned even in a Snow Storm before i ran it hard..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok....I just wanted to make sure that it still held true to our breed of cars. Right now the car with the chip I have in there now is fine.
With that 4 lb and 3.00 upper the pipes are a nice redish brown color from my fuel.....much better than white. The plugs look real good too....not lean now thats for sure. Thanks Jim...

Harry

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah man that sounds really lean. My pipes are black and if you rub your finger inside them you get black on your finger.

One other thing, I that race fuel your mixing with leaded? cause that might add to a grey color.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Finicky.....so atleast I know white is bad bad bad like I thought and will stick with the setup and tune I have right now because it really does appear safe after checking the plugs and pipes.

Harry
2003 Cobra (now a 4 lb lower and 3.00 upper)
www.HotRodHarrys.com
Check out my past cars area...I miss all of them

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ya know since you mentioned checking the plugs, A while back i checked mine and they were white as could be..They looked like they just came out of the package. The weird thing is i dont think the car is lean....who knows, whats yours look like?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well....might be hard to tell from my plugs with me running with that 112 octane leaded 50/50 with 94 unleaded...I will fill the tank as soon as this weather straightens out with all unleaded.

My plugs right now are a light to medium gray color with a touch of tan...here and there..mostly the gray. On the porcelain part and electrode.
Who knows what that all means....but to me...white is lean ...but remember..that is with muslcecars and all from my past...these might be different.

My stock plugs when the car was stock had no color on them at all..like you said...like new....now i have NGK TR6's still gapped at .035
Harry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts