Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And how does it perform?

I'm going to be doing an 8.8 build and swapping it into my Cobra, I seen a good package deal from latemodelrestoration that includes 31 spline axles, 4.10 gearset, and a ford traction lock diff for 31 spline axles in the 8.8 including all of the installation parts for the gaers diff and axles. The only part I'm not sure about is the Ford traction lock diff, as I've been looking into the Detroit tru-trac because it has no clutches to wear out and replace, and I also hear the tru-trac is very tough,

Your thoughts please. Also a street/strip build that mainly hangs out in the garage.

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely going with 4.10's, if I wasn't sold on 28" tall dr's, I'd prolly look at 3.90's or possibly 3.73's. I don't have any big power dreams other than possibly a smallish twin screw on pump gas boost in the distant future.

· Registered
1,689 Posts
Stock diff running mid 10s and 1.5x 60' times. Launching on a ported sprayed Eaton before.
Now 20+lbs of boost on a VMP TVS 2.3 at 600+ hp.
You going 4.10s??
If you saw how my stock diff broke and the damage it could have caused you would reconsider something in the aftermarket. It cracked in half right thru where the cross pin lock bolt mounts and if the cross pin had slid out at speed it would have been an instant rear end lock up situation and probably caused a wreck. I got damn lucky, it happened during one bad burnout with a one-tire-fire and by the end of the track i had serious gear noise on decel in the shut down area.

Now i have a Detroit Locker, its like a spool at the track and a just little clunkier on the street than all the other after market diffs out there.

· Registered
4,062 Posts
If you saw how my stock diff broke and the damage it could have caused you would reconsider something in the aftermarket. It cracked in half right thru where the cross pin lock bolt mounts and if the cross pin had slid out at speed it would have been an instant rear end lock up situation and probably caused a wreck. I got damn lucky, it happened during one bad burnout with a one-tire-fire and by the end of the track i had serious gear noise on decel in the shut down area.

Now i have a Detroit Locker, its like a spool at the track and a just little clunkier on the street than all the other after market diffs out there.
Fortunately I have run that diff since 2004 with no issues.
So far.
Just a couple of clutch pack replacements.
If something breaks I will upgrade.

· Registered
644 Posts
If anybody is getting rid of their stock trac-lock with CF frictions, I could use one for a street machine. I'm putting a true-track in my street-strip beast.

· Premium Member
2,439 Posts
I've ran both a Detroit Locker, and a Detroit True Trac in my IRS aside from the stock diff and for mainly a street driven car the True Trac wins hands down. The Locker was cool at first but low speed turns and parking lot situations made its "manners" get old real quick. The True Trac is quiet, does its job very well and several on here have ran them at the drag strip in high horsepower applications with great success. If mainly a street driven car is what you're wanting then that would be the diff for you.

Shannon

· Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Shannon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.