Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard about the 1 week offer of cheap financing or a $2500 rebate on 2003 Cobras and Mach 1's. I think this is really sad. Really messes up the market and resale value for SVT. Once you start incentives, you'll have people holding off purchase waiting for more incentives. In my opinion, SVT should have lowered end of 2003 production when it was clear a lot of cars were not moving off dealer lots through winter and early spring.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
My cobra is my 3rd ford in 2 years and it pisses me off that they create these incentives to draw in more customers and **** over the loyal ones they have.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I dont care about the rebate, its the 0% APR for 36months that I would have loved to get.

Oh Well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
PhillyCobra said:
Just heard about the 1 week offer of cheap financing or a $2500 rebate on 2003 Cobras and Mach 1's. I think this is really sad. Really messes up the market and resale value for SVT. Once you start incentives, you'll have people holding off purchase waiting for more incentives. In my opinion, SVT should have lowered end of 2003 production when it was clear a lot of cars were not moving off dealer lots through winter and early spring.
What are you talking about. It is not the first time Ford has offered this on their line, even the exhaulted SVT products. And it's for how long . . . 1 frigging week!

Don't worry, it won't hurt resale value. 04's are coming out, so time to move some of the old out for the new.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think the rebates are great.
Might be just what I need to finally trade the '01 in on an '03... :D

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Well i think the rebate is great (in my case) I put a deposit down on a left over 03 the day before the rebate was posted. The next day my salesman calls me to tell me about the deal. So thats $2500 off the original deal that i was going to pay more for. So it worked out well in my case. I picked up a 2003 Silver Coupe for $31400 out the door. I get the car on Tuesday :)

Dave

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I think it's a good thing. There are plenty of people who want 03's, and this will make them more accessable for them. I guess if I had bought my car a week before it was announced, I'd feel a lot different though..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To me the reall issue is the integrity of SVT's business model, which as I understand it, relies on 1) not spending on advertising, rather letting enthusiasts and the enthusiast press do the PR (probably saves $2000 per car), and 2) generating a specific target profit per model run, without incentives. I really want SVT to continue and produce more great cars and trucks, but they won't be able to do it if they cut their profit margin per unit too often, and impact resale value. Seems to me they should have produced fewer units, charged more, and somehow prevented dealers from gouging when the car first came out. BMW and Porsche survive by keeping supply and demand in balance and having a high profit per unit. They are willing to have lean years (Porsche had many after the stock market crashed) without pushing rebates in an attempt to maintain their market.

I think the SVT Focus was a mistake for SVT-- the target market can't afford what makes sense to produce the car at. The SVT Contour (which I own and love) also suffered from the same fate. I think SVT should stick to higher buck models and look for repeat customers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just had a salesman call me back on a 03 SVT 10th anniversary Cobra I had looked at, I told him I would not pay any higher than $300 over invoice minus the $2500 rebate.

He was completely fine with that. I trhink many 03s are piling up on dealers lots.

Unfortunately, I really don't feel like a $30000+ non-daily driven car is a necessity right now, but if I didn't have my current Mustang I would do it in a heartbeat.

Well, I have until Tuesday to rethink it at least.:confused:

Howard

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Whats to think about? This is the time..the money is right and man...you only live once!!! :blob :shocked :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Harry

So you are the :evil on my shoulder.

I just started 2 new businesses, if all works well I'll buy one in the winter or spring. Winter is not a great time for Stangs around here though:

hmmmm - maybe a WRX instead.
:lol

Howard

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Despite my criticism of the rebate program, I think anyone who was considering getting a 2003 Cobra and passes up this opportunity is NUTS!!!!!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
00whitegtvert said:
Harry

So you are the :evil on my shoulder.

I just started 2 new businesses, if all works well I'll buy one in the winter or spring. Winter is not a great time for Stangs around here though:

hmmmm - maybe a WRX instead.
:lol

Howard
:lol :lol Sorry about that :D :evil

·
Registered
71 Posts
PhillyCobra -

Great, now I have 2 people :hammer me on the head about this.

If I didn't have a leg injury that prevents me from driving a stick on a daily basis, this would not be such a dilemma for me, but to put in an auto and butcher a brand new warrantied Cobra would kill me, and to have to leave that sweet car in the garage with a stick would also kill me.

My 65 year old man uses my 2001 Vette 6 speed on a daily basis, the lease is up in 6/04, maybe he won't mind paying 1/2 for a 2004 Cobra vert next summer.:confused:

I'd get rid of the Vette now, but due to a GM buyback on my 2000 Vette I only pay $365/month for it, kind of a waste to get rid of it now. Even though I hate that car, my pop seems to really enjoy it, I guess he likes the young girls flirting with him.:king

One day I'll join the ranks,

Howard

·
Registered
352 Posts
I tried to use this rebate when i ordered my 04. Was a no go. I was however, able to X plan it. Someone out there is going to get an X plan and that rebate, lucky bastards.

Only 03's left out here was a torch red and a dsg. I wanted black or redfire.

I ordered a Black 04.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am sure you could have found a Black one if you looked hard enough. There is a dealer in FLA offering a Black 10th anniv for $29,500 and they had all the other 03's for $7,000 off MSRP too. What was X-plan on the 04 if you don't mind my asking>??? Also did they give you a date to expect it on>??? Good luck with her! -Mat-

·
Registered
182 Posts
SVT F15O said:
I am sure you could have found a Black one if you looked hard enough. There is a dealer in FLA offering a Black 10th anniv for $29,500 and they had all the other 03's for $7,000 off MSRP too. What was X-plan on the 04 if you don't mind my asking>??? Also did they give you a date to expect it on>??? Good luck with her! -Mat-
Who is the dealer?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went to my dealer yesterday and they have 4 black coupes here, a white coupe and 2 verts, one in sonic blue and the other in dark shadow grey...They will sell all these cars at invoice and X plan for those who have it :D So $2500 under those prices...

Jeff

·
Registered
145 Posts
I sure wasn't about to pass it up! I took delivery of a 2003 SB coupe w/16 miles on it built in April of 2003 for X-plan plus $3000 in rebates ($2500 advertised plus $500 additional X-plan customer rebate). I was out the door for right at $31k including taxes and title before trade in. They gave me $1500 over blue book trade in on my 98 Cobra so I was pretty happy with that and I weaseled my way into a 60 month loan at 3.9%. That is cheaper than buying a used one around here and the financing gave me really low payments. No way I was going to turn that deal down!! :)

I don't think the rebates and special offers are going to lower resale value. It does suck for people who bought already though. IMO, they are selling for what they are worth now. The dealers were screwing people by not selling the cars around invoice, that is why there are so many left on the lots. People who are willing to pay MSRP and above perpetuate that, imho. You would have seen this a lot sooner if nobody would have paid the dealer markup or even msrp for that matter. Paying that much forces you to take a bath in depreciation as soon as you drive them off the lot too. I know a car is not an investment but just throwing money away is never a good idea, imho. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad about their purchase, you have to do what you think is appropriate, I am just sharing my opinions here. No need to flame, it won't change my mind, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

I ordered my 98 snake for $100 over invoice and paid $3200 less than invoice for my '03. I refuse to pay more than a couple hundred over invoice for any car. I knew if I waited the prices would come down as they sat on the lot and it finally happened... Man, I love this car! sooooo much better than my 98!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts