Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
The quadrant is that over-engineered POS connected to the end of your clutch cable. It is supposed to be "self-adjusting" but IMHO it self-adjusts itself to whereever it feels like. If you change it to a metal piece with a firewall adjuster, the clutch is consistent as well as letting you determine where you want it to grab. I think that alot of people are having shifting problems and blaming it on the shifter and/or the clutch but i think that the stock quadrant doesn't work at all with the combination in the car i.e. T-56, heavy clutch etc. I have the Steeda quick release quadrant (red) and their firewall adjuster. Works like a charm. BTW, the instructions that they include are friggin terrible.

gary

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gary...

What do you think the advantage of the new 'blue' triple quadrant adjuster would be?

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
I don't know why there is a 3 hook. The 2 hook is used for different adjustment types. One for a firewall adjuster and the other for an adjustable cable. If you have a firewall adjuster you can only use one of them anyway. The red quick release ramps up quicker, thats the advantage of it. Hope that helps.

gary

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SVTyballz said:
I don't know why there is a 3 hook. The 2 hook is used for different adjustment types. One for a firewall adjuster and the other for an adjustable cable. If you have a firewall adjuster you can only use one of them anyway. The red quick release ramps up quicker, thats the advantage of it. Hope that helps.

gary
Thanks for all the info, but what do you mean by "ramps up quicker"?

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
The stock quadrant uses almost the entire length of the pedal travel to release the clutch. The red Steeda, and any similiar ones that are larger in diameter than the stock quadrant, cause more clutch release for the same amount of pedal travel. The ratio is better. Much of the shifting problems are being caused by the clutch not being fully disengaged and this is caused by the quadrant requiring so much more movement than should be necesary. This added movement is at the expense of a slightly stiffer pedal.

Dana

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I like the stock cable it has alot of travel and that helps you ride out the clutch for those awsome launches. Pauls performance and I believe JDM still uses the stock cables also. Everyone is on the band wagon for different parts to buy I think this is one part that isn''t needed unless the car is old . These cables were origanal desined for the cars that are old and have broken parts. It's funny how the market can make you think that this is a part that you need. My car is fine and I can pwr shift and it never gives me a probem. If some of you guys are having problems maybe you should work on your hand to foot coordination instead of blaming the cable or clutch. good luck

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
grnenvy,
It isn't the cable that is at issue here, it is the quadrant. Most people are still using the stock cable, the aftermarket ones are no better than the stock ones.
Ford compromised with the clutch linkage in order to use a heavier clutch assy. They made the pedal travel as long as was possible to ease the operation of the clutch. This is fine for those that can't handle the heavier pressure, but requires much greater pedal movement and much more coordination because the transmission cannot be safely shifted until the clutch is nearly at the floor. The replacement quadrants require less travel, less time and less coordination, all of which are at a premium when racing. If you don't plan on racing, then you may be able to get by with the stock setup...
If you have not driven a Cobra with the larger quadrant installed in it, it may be a difficult concept to grasp, but I strongly suggest you try it. You will immediately notice the improved shifting ability.

Dana

·
Registered
250 Posts
Need both pieces to gain the benefit......firewall adjuster and clutch pedal quadrant. The point Dana was making was that the third piece....adjustable clutch cable.....really is not needed. I think you agree. It will make a big difference for those of us who want a more responsive/predictable clutch engagement. Mine was way too close to the floor and experienced the problems Dana described concerning full disengagement and heating up. Another consideration is that I have known other 03 owners who have had their stock quadrant break and hose their clutch assembly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Any chance ford will foid any part of say the transmission warrenty if you install a quadrant? That is one of the things I"m going to do first, cause shifting is a pain will all that pedal travel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know the real answer to that......I do know that the same dealership that I bought my car from also sells and installs the Steeda parts. Seems to me that if they do that it must be an acceptable "upgrade" and shouldn't void any warranty. Need to call your service guy to confirm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Who are some vendors that sell the firewall adjuster and clutch pedal quadrant?? I have heard Steeda, but are there any others??

Which would you suggest?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Steeda and UPR are the vendors I am most familiar with and seems to be proven with most people on the boards. There are others.......just check the ads in 5.0 or MMFF mags.....or with some of the vendors authorized on this board..i.e. Amazon Racing. I have a UPR just because I got a great deal on it from a local shop.

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
Which ever one you decide on, make certain it has a lock nut on the firewall adjuster. Some don't and I have yet to figure out why, because they are necessary. The adjuster will move (rotate) on you if there is not some type of locking mechanism.

Dana

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
Both are the same price.
Both have locking mechanisms, but the Steeda could potentially be a problem if you have to lock the adjuster in a position where the set screw is inaccessible, like next to the rocker cover. They could have put more than one, but didn't. I really don't know how effective the set screw is because it is not actually locking the nut to anything fixed, just a sleeve that fits over the cable. It is probably sufficient though.

I still like the jamb nut. Also, UPR is not the only one with that design, I think.
I have one of the original Steeda's and no lock mechanism.
Also, unless they have modified their directions, they suck. They were/are incorrectly written. I would not buy that one again, but that is beside the point and not what you are asking.
Of the two you mentioned, I would use the UPR. There are others. Look around.
Dana

1 - 20 of 21 Posts