Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not dropped my tank in 4 years so I have forgot. Need to order my stuff in a few hours what gaskets if any need to be replaced when dropping the tank? I was thinking there was one that you have to cut but I am not positive because its been so long. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I have not dropped my tank in 4 years so I have forgot. Need to order my stuff in a few hours what gaskets if any need to be replaced when dropping the tank? I was thinking there was one that you have to cut but I am not positive because its been so long. Thanks.
The one you cut is the grommet in the side of the tank for the fuel filler!
I lucked out the first time I dropped mine, and only popped the check valve off the filler neck. Didn't want to risk breaking it the second time around so I cut off the portion of the grommet that is exposed and pushed the rest into the tank. Filler neck slid right out. Remove the pump basket and retrieve the rest of the grommet and your done.

I called Ford and asked for the rubber grommet for the side of the fuel tank where the filler neck enters the tank for an '03 Cobra, and they had it in stock!

just bought mine actually earlier this week, and it was $19

Ken:tip:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You do not need to replace any gaskets or grommets. Before dropping the tank spray some WD-40 on a rag and wipe down the filler neck, it will slide right out of the tank.

I have had my tank down probably 5 times and never damaged the grommet or needed to cut it to remove the neck.......makes reinstallation super easy too.

--Joe

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
I've always just dropped mine enough to work with the tank still under the car. Didn't want to mess with the filler neck grommet. Makes for tight working space, but I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
yea ive had my tank out 2 or 3 times and have gotten the filler neck out by dropping it down on the left side and then sliding it out real carefully. There's also a gasket on the fuel hat at the top if you need to remove the hat, may wanna replace that

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I have taken mine out a few times and I just did it again for the new glenns tank and the tip of the filler poped off but it was right inside the tank. Poped it back on. None of the gaskets tore at all but you lower the driver side and the filler will pull out.
Piece of cake and we did it with over a 1/2 tank in the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts