Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a terrible rattling noise coming from (I think) some part of the exhaust when the car is placed in reverse. I have looked at all the bolts on the x-pipe. They are all tight. I also checked to see if I could locate a spot where something was beating against each other. That was not found either. Any ideas what this could be? I wish I knew so I could fix it quick. It sure is embarassing.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
It could be where your tailpipes curve to go over the rear end. They have been known to bump the rear frame rail when shook. With the car shut off, grab the tailpipe and shake it, see if you can here the noise then. It should be easy to run down.

Chad

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried shaking the pipes in the past. They are tight. I couldnt move them. Maybe I should try it again. Any reason why it would be doing just in reverse?

Brandon

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good deal. Before I do anything I will take one more look at it. Has there every been a problem with the mufflers knocking against the drive shaft?

Brandon

·
Registered
191 Posts
Do you have cats on your x pipe?

Could be the shields rattling on them.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any cats Moonlight. I think I am going to check out what Chad mention ealier, once again.

Brandon

·
400 Posts
Sounds to me like the cats are bad. They will start rattling like crazy. Basanni cats are famous for this. Running rich really helps speed up the cats coming apart too.

Rick

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to get it up on a lift for better access, and see what the problem might be. I know it isnt the cats due to the fact it is an off-road x-pipe. I am thinking it is more like of what Chad mentioned.

Brandon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts