Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 GT and im looking at upgrading my pistons,rods and crank.
Which brand would you recommend for high horsepower?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Cobra Crank, Manley Rods and JE Pistons. Federal Mogul Plasma Rings. Blower get 8:5:1 CR. N/A and N2O go with 10.75:1 CR

·
Registered
692 Posts
I don't know to tell you the truth. I know my brother races pro mods bikes and they all use JE! But hey, long as they are forged or Billet, they're gonna last.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Talk to Scott at VTEngines at http://www.vtengines.com - they have good prices on the cobra cranks and they sell CP pistons.

They had a nice spread at the Modular Shootout with their stroker kit there as well as a car that had the kit in it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I might be mistaken Pete but did they seem pricey compared to modular performance???

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've never seen a price on Modular Performance for a standard cobra crank so I can't compare that.

Their stroker kit is $200 more than the ModMax kit offered by MP, but I don't believe it is comparing apples to apples. I don't know who makes the rods/pistons for ModMax - anyone know that is 100% certain?

I've just heard a lot of bad things about the ModMax valve springs (don't know if they've resolved it) and that would make me hesitant about their full kits. Others might be running them without any problems though.....just me though and not basing it on any data.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The 17cc blower pistons are made by CP and are the best pistons I've ever seen for a mod motor. They also have some that are made by JE. Those CP's are going in my motor.

·
Registered
482 Posts
CP is what VT uses as well. Does MP offer the 17cc piston? Their webpage only shows a low compression of (9:1 to 9.5:1).

I'm shooting for 8.2:1 to 8.5:1. Granted the cc of the heads makes it vary greatly......

Both websites look like they need updating though... VT's still only shows JE pistons...but it does say that balancing is included whereas MP balancing is extra.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They do. The 17cc piston with our heads will give you about 8.9:1. I believe they also have a 19cc and a 23cc from some one else. Maybe Ross. The 23cc may be what you need. Not sure though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
bigger dish for lower compression.

·
Registered
482 Posts
HP is irrelevant, cylinder pressure and detonation are the issue.

To say they can handle more/less HP, neither is correct. However as a general rule of thumb the more boost you make, the more power you will make (I'm over simplifying as boost is actually a measure of restriction, not power) and the more boost you make the more compression ratio comes in to play and the lower the compression ratio, the lower the chance for detonation assuming a proper tune.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I had this same question a short time ago and after a lot of advice decided to go with manley rods, cp pistons, and undecided on the crank. Manley and CP are tried and true as are JE, Ross, and others. I ordered my Manleys a couple days ago from Livernois for $550. I'm told the GT crank will easily handle 500 rwhp so I guess it depends on what level you intend to take the car. For the money I'm gonna' spend to build this thing I figure another $600 for a cobra crank is probably going to be the best move but just not sure yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Some will argue that the 2v crank will be fine....and that the 4v crank is additional rotating mass that you don't need. I look at it as cheap insurance.

I am still researching the rods a bit, but I haven't found a difference yet between the Eagles and the Manleys....both can be had with ARP2000 bolts as well.

What you listed was basically the setup I had planned on going with before deciding to go with a stroker setup.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Pete, I looked into the rods a little bit too. The only difference I could find is that the Manleys are a bit lighter than the Eagles. Something like 701 grams for the Eagles and 671 grams for the Manleys. Everyone I've spoken to seems to like the Manley rods just for the proven track record, I guess. I agree with you on the crank. I probably shouldn't even be thinking this hard about it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Manley Forged rods are in my car.
I would go with CP if the pocket book allows.

The VT stuff is nice.Scott and Jim do a great job at keeping prices competetive and also the customer service rocks.
We have switched exclusively to using thier prodcuts to build our motors.
I cant wait to try the stroker out this fall.......
Keep in mind,sometimes paying alittle bit more for good info and great customer service is worth it.Its nice to be able to call someone up and get answers to questions long after the sale is made.
Tim

1 - 20 of 54 Posts