Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to buy an 03 and just had some questions. I just finished reading about Nitrous Pete's dyno session and now have a big woody. That thing is amazing. I would've never guessed the stock motor could withstand all that boost and power.

Anyways my questions are....

without changing the Eaton blower what is the max rwhp and torque can I obtain with simple boltons and at what kinda boost?

to achieve max horsepower can you guys please list the parts that I will need. Such as what pulleys, exhaust, chip, cai, etc... Also will I need to do anything with the fuel system? Keep in mind I don't live near a shop that can dyno tune it so I'll need a place that can get the chip tune pretty good by guessing since I'll have to mail order it. Who would be the best?

Again if you guys can list all the mods I'll need, including manufacturers, I would really appreciate it. Moneys not a factor but remember I want to keep the stock blower. The KB is tempting but 700+ hps is not practicle for the street. Also this car will never see the track.

Thanks in advance for the help, Ray

P.S. I know I'm a "newbie" here but please don't think I'm a troll. I own a SC98 Cobra and just sold my SC99 Cobra. I know nothing about the 03s

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi VTsnake,

You may want to go over to www.svtperformance.com and do a search in the 03 Cobra forum for your topic... I've not done it but this is and has been a HIGHLY covered topic since day one and I bet you'd get tons of info.

and/or

lurk around the forums and check out the sigs where a lot of people have listed their mods. Your question is a good one but is very subjective. Many variables exist that only you can answer but have dozens of solutions. ie. warranty concern and budget constraint just to name a couple.

just an idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks My1st, but I'm not worried about the warranty and costs. The reason why I registered here and asked this question was after reading about Nitrious Petes dyno session I figured you guys here had some good combo ideas for the 03. I know LT headers, xpipe and exhaust will be good mods but I'd like to know what pulleys to use and what chip to use. As stated I want to know what "max" rwhp and boost I can get out of the Eaton blower with just boltons. Obviously the biggest gains will be from increasing boost. I just don't have any idea what pulleys are out there. Thanks for refering me to svtperformance.

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's hard to believe that the Cobras have only been out about 8-9 months and this is already a broad topic so I'll give it a shot.
Pulleys: Wide range to choose from. I've seen 2.77, 2.80, 2.93, 3.00, 3.10, 3.20 3.40 and stock is 3.65. From 3.00 up most see no belt slippage and full "expected boost" throughout the power range. 2.77 giving approx. 16-17 down to 3.40 giving 10-11.
The flip side to this is you can also choose to go with a lower pulley set. which range from 2lb to 6lb and I heard someone was coming out with a 8lb set but not sure who it was. These upper and lower pulley setup's can work together for a desired boost level. Several people on this board run a 2.80 upper with a 6lb lower. Their exact boost level's they are seeing I'm not aware of but I think Nitro pete was running something like this prior to his KB install.
Cold-Air-Intakes: This is one of the areas that will give best bang-for-the-buck increase in HP. Since you're going to Pulley(up the boost), any straight in filter setup will net you the same gains. I use the Amazon Racing Stage I kit. 10-12 HP increase on a stock 03.
Exhaust: The other area where the 03 is starving for attention. Lots to choose from. Do a search on SVTPerformance on this and you'll see a huge array of options. Some don't mind spending the money and going top-shelf for Bassani. But a large majority have taken to Magnaflow. Good price, good performance, good sound.
But like I said, lots to choose from.
Chips: I have no experience with any other than Diablo. And Rick at Amazon Racing offers in my opinion, the best tune off the shelf for your mods. This upgrade is a must for any pulley smaller than a 3.10. I personally would get a chip regardless of a pulley install.
These cars come super fat from Ford.
Throttle-bodies: Billetflow Hands-down. I don't currently have a TB but have been on these boards since their conception and this is the one with the most for the least!
Suspension: Just depends where you want to go with this. I suggest speaking to one of the vendors on this subject. I think you said no track, so the stock suspension may suit your needs, maybe the addition of Subframes to stiffen things up a bit.
Additional cooling: Not as big an aftermarket yet as some of these other issues. Fan-kits are available. Some, like Nitro Pete design his own. Of course you have to be a mad sceintist to get to where he's at. But this is something to look at when exceeding 16lbs of boost.
I have done nothing more than base this post on my opinion. Other have differnet views, but I can tell you this for sure, call Rick, at Amazon Racing, he will take good care of you. He advertises here and on SVTPerformance and will leave no stone unturned when asked for help concerning modding the 03 Cobra. Good Luck and have FUN!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
03Snake, thanks! That is great info. I'm planning on going Bassani for exhaust. Thats what I have on the 98 and have great success with it. But I did like the Magnaflos I had on my 99.

So what's the max boost the stock bottom can handle?

Anyways thanx again, I'll be calling Rick shortly.:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
VTsnake said:
03Snake, thanks! That is great info. I'm planning on going Bassani for exhaust. Thats what I have on the 98 and have great success with it. But I did like the Magnaflos I had on my 99.

So what's the max boost the stock bottom can handle?

Anyways thanx again, I'll be calling Rick shortly.:)
For longevity's sake, it's hard to say. I'm sure there are several people on here that have been running 16+lbs for a few months now. I haven't heard of anyone blowing motors yet. Nitro Pete got to 20+lbs and spiked 22lbs but couldn't hold it if I remember correctly. Above 16lbs and maybe even before that, heat becomes an issue. Thats my next project asI wait to see the "real" wrech-turners begin to build and test new ways of cooling a MAXED-OUT Eaton. Several are in the works and it will be interesting to see what works and what doesn't. Just stay tuned to this and other boards(STVPerformance) for info about this. It will become neccessary at some point. Later.....

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey Ray best to talk to someone on the phone or in person,
so both of you can come up with a good combo for you , I have several ways to go , all deponds on what you want , No track, street driven , all fine, what fuel will you run ? all these depond on the amount of boost, nitro
Go with 1 place and stick with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nitrous pete said:
Hey Ray best to talk to someone on the phone or in person,
so both of you can come up with a good combo for you , I have several ways to go , all deponds on what you want , No track, street driven , all fine, what fuel will you run ? all these depond on the amount of boost, nitro
Go with 1 place and stick with them.
Thanks for the reply Pete. BTW, your setup is sweet!

I am planning on running pump gas and no track use. I want the most hps possible with simple boltons w/o swapping blowers. To put it this way, I want a daily driver that kicks a$$ especially when I pull up to a Z06.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts