Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to mod my Cobra enough to retain the factory warranty and still dust off the former C5/Z06 badazz cars that run around here every year for the annual Ecklers Corvette show. I had some fun with them stock. Now I'm putting on the Bassani X-pipe with the Hi-flow cats and the Catback as well. I'm working on a decision for the CAI to install too. Should have it all here and installed by the end of this month. I've heard that some plugs can boost the performance a little. Are there any with significant improvements over the others that would warrant the money ? Keep in mind, I have to stay within the warranty for now. So any suggestions about any component that will increase my performance would be appreciated greatly. Also, are the plugs on these things difficult to change out? Special tools ? Thanks guys!!

·
Yes...it can be done
3,140 Posts
Tools:

10mm socket
5/8" spark plug socket
12" extention
3/8" rachet
Tube of anti-seize

Plugs:

Denso-Iridiums or NGK TR6's gapped at .035 to start.

Installation:

Remove covers that say, "32 Valve DOHC". You may have to remove the TB inlet on the passenger side. Pop off the coil-overs to get to each plug. Remove each stock plug and check its condition. Install the new plugs with anti-seize.

Testing:

If you feel a slight miss in the upper RPM's reduce your spark plug gap. This is boost blowing out the spark. If you hear pinging in any part of the RPM band you may want to try better gas, a little octane boost, or a colder plug.

Hope this helps,

Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear both type plugs are good but which one is best for my application. I'll be running the Bassani exhaust system, a CAI some spark plugs and whtever else I can install without voiding the warranty. I've seen a bunch of guys saying to gap the plugs at .040 too. Also some hotter and some colder than stock. Is there a place to check to see if you have a certain set up, that these parts and processes are the ones to use to maximize your cars performance ? Forgot to say Thanks 03Steve for your assistance. I appreciate all your efforts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Denso's are worth the $$$$$$

I used to run NGK TR-6's. My truck ran like crap with misfiring all too common. Picked up .1 second and 2 MPH via plug change. Will never try NGK again. My .02.

BTJ

·
400 Posts
With a 3.10 pulley you can get away with .040. But I like .035 with anything smaller then a 3.10. As far as plugs I use the NGK's. We.ve used the tr6's in all our mod motors with great success.

Rick

G

·
I run NGK TR6's too...but at 0.040 ......So far no probs at all....thats with the 2.80 upper/Bassani full Xhaust(no cats) etc....Rick did say he sees some plug blowout in the upper range with the higer boost setups like mine....he notices it in the dyno sheets. When he goes with 0.035 it goes away. Alittle less horsepower he says, but up top its better.

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
You might want to check what you have in there now. if you have the AGSF 12's they are a cold plug already. you might want to try just gapping them at .040. Im putting in BR7's tommorrow. They are one step colder than TR6's and if they don't foul, then im going to step up to the IT22 denso's. BTW I run 'em all @ .036

gary

·
Pushrod Dinosaur
1,006 Posts
Blu,

I didn't read right. I thought you had a pulley...........you might just want to keep your stock plugs, jsut check and make sure the gaps are right. I'm not sure what the stock gap is, it's prolly in the manual somewhere. If you do get a pulley, don't buy a puller, you live close enough, you can use mine. I'll shoot down to Titusville to change it. Now you have no excuses. ahem............cough .cough................... 2.8..........cough ...cough.........hehehe

gary

·
Registered
218 Posts
Depends on whether your stock plugs are AGSF-32FM1 or AGSF-22FM1 or AGSF-12FM1. With an X + CB + CAI...

1. If your stock plugs are either AGSF-32FM1 or AGSF-22FM1, move down to AGSF-12FM1 plugs gapped at 0.040".
2. Check for fouling after 200-300 miles of driving.
3. If no fouling present, retain spark plugs or move down to a colder set. Repeat.
4. If fouling present, replace with original plugs gapped at 0.040".

Why 0.040"? Vehicle Emissions Control Information (VECI) indicates a recommended gap between 0.042-0.046", or a 0.044" median. General rule of thumb for forced induction gapping is minus 0.004" for every 50 HP gained. X + CB + CAI should net you approximately 50 HP. Thus 0.044" - 0.004" = 0.040".

I usually reset the PCM (disconnect battery ground, depress brake to release residual charge) when changing plugs. My stock plugs were AGSF-12FM1. I regapped them to 0.038". The increase in power was noticeable. At least until the PCM started to make adjustments.

Offhand, the smaller electrode on the stock plugs and the Denso Iridiums are superior to those found on NGKs. See <http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26529>.

·
Registered
218 Posts
03Steve said:
Tools:

10mm socket
5/8" spark plug socket
12" extention
3/8" rachet
Tube of anti-seize
8mm socket - To loosen intake plenum hose clamp
Dialectric grease - On the ceramic portion of the plug and inside of the boot
Universal joint - To help with the removal and installation of #4
Compressed air - To ensure plug well is free from debris before removal

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yo ox, I am going to be stopping the mods with just the K&N and the Magnaflow C/B hopefully installed tomorrow. I had planned on keeping the stock plugs. You see any reason to change with just these two mods?

·
Registered
218 Posts
> You see any reason to change with just these two mods?

No reason or requirement other than the desire to squeeze more firepower out of your setup. With a K&N E-0945 + MagnaFlow Cat-Back System 15644, I would go with AGSF-12FM1 plugs gapped between 0.040-0.042". See the above mentioned procedure for best results =>)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts