Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions on what some of you guys feel would be best for my combination.

Currently I run a Vortech JT trim with ~20psi at 8000. I also have a large FMIC on the car. My intake is a SSR intake with 10% shorter runners. My heads and cams are bone stock. My exhaust is MAC 1 5/8 headers

What I would like is some opinions on how much cams or porting the heads would help me. I am allready doing alot this winter (TKO swap, Gen 7 DFI, 10% overdrive crank pulley and manual brakes/steering being the big things) and I dont have enough money left over to do both heads and cams.

So....what do you guys think will help my combo the most
Ported heads or Blower cams. Will adding blower cams to stock heads even help me that much?

I will be upgrading the valve springs also no matter which one I decide to do.

Thanks for the help

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, if you added the blower cams, they are supposed to inprove air flow with a blower application. but the downside to the bigger cams, is the lack of airflow thru the head itself. You can get the heads ported & polished first, then get the cams later, or (this is what i would do) wait till you have enough money, then get the cams & have the heads done to optimize the cams. You will not get the best benefit from cams alone, but you would benefit a good deal from getting the heads ported & polished ( at least gasket matched) first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tuner

Who is tuning your beast?

I would think just with a good tuner and the Gen 7, it would bring out the HP numbers in your beast w/o the head, cams.

20 psi with the JT Trim should be "well" over 600RWHP, correct me if I am wrong. Especially at "8000RPM"that blower should be making some ponies, something does not make sense here.

But IMO, to answer your question, I would save up enough and have the headwork, cams, valvetrain done altogether.

Jeff

·
Registered
438 Posts
doesn't add up

I have to agree somewhat that your dyno numbers should be a little higher with the JT but every combo is different. I am makin 680 with a t-trim and stock cams. My heads do have a very mild clean-up on them. I personally do not believe that "blower cams" are worth the money.

I think your best bang for the buck, and to make good use of the flow of the JT is put a good set of step headers on there. I think your Mac's are killing your power. Just my .02

Ben Dorn

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments guys......I have been giving it some thought and I think I am going to hold off doing the heads and cams untill I can do them both at the same time.

Modcobra........its interesting that you would say that about my exhaust. I actually thought that myself but dismissed it thinking it was the heads holding me back. IMO my exhaust is pretty small for the power I want and the rpms I turn. I currently run MAC 1 5/8" headers------VRS 2 1/2" offroad x-pipe-----MAC 3" dumps. I think I am going to take your advice and get a good exhaust on the car first and then see where I am at.

97cobrastrim.....thanks for the help. I do all tuning on my car myself. I run the dyno at Kauffman Motorsports and also handle the tuning there. I really dont think my numbers are THAT low. The whole reason my car makes 20psi is because I spin it to 8000. My car really starts to nose over at 7000. From 7000-8000 I only gain about 20hp but my boost goes from 15 to 20. Would my numbers sound better if I said I had 580rwhp with 15psi at 7000rpm's?

So for now I think I am going to concentrate on a good exhaust for the car. I have been looking at a set of step headers from Kooks anyway....I guess I will be getting them now

Thanks

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts