Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

What should I run...cant decide...

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  MickeySaleen 
#1 ·
My car sits right now as a full bolton and cammed n/a ride. I am installing a ported Saleen blower in about 3 weeks to a month, along with the dual GT500 fuel pumps. The blower is ported so it creates a little more boost than a normal Saleen blower. I have driven this car hard and feel like I have put a lot of stress on the motor.

So my question is...what size pulley should I run? I want to be between 450-470rwhp on a safe tune...

I was thinking the 3.4" pulley would be good? It is expected to produce 9.5lbs of boost according to Brenspeed, but I was thinking more like 11lbs because of the port job. Would that be too much considering I will already be running cams?

What pulley and/or boost should I be running?

Here is the Saleen pulley chart:
3.00 = 13.5 psi
3.20 = 11.5 psi
3.40 = 9.5 psi
3.60 = 7.5 psi
3.80 = 5.5 psi

The car will be tuned by Techco Intl

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
I'm starting to wonder if I've really got a 3.2 on my car. I'm only seeing 9.5 pounds of boost. :/

As for your combo, I think the wild card is the ported blower. Without knowing what kind of gain it's worth, it's really hard to comment on the pulley size.

I do know that a lot of people with bolt on cars and a 3.2 are making in the 350-380 range.

I'd have to assume that the ported blower would put you there EASILY.

Personally, I think longevity is in the tune. I've seen blown 500+ RWHP modulars live for 2+ years as a daily driver, and I've also seen S-Trim blown 380 RWHP modulars last 2 weeks. Unfortunately, that's the hardest part to get figured out.

Anyone can say they'll tune your car, but since so few people willing to stand behind their work if they blow up the motor, it's a scary proposition, at best.

:)

#8 ·
Pulley size

I would say it's better to be on the safe side especially with your tuner. I am running 3.2 pulley on a stock motor with the JDM tune. Mine made 477 RWHP and 450RWT. If you like to run your car hard a lot I would say 3.4 to 3.6 so you wont have to back off. I don't keep mine in the 10psi range for very long due to the fear factor. If your car is a daily driver I would not worry about making that big HP number on the dyno unless you have the money to rebuild your motor.

#10 ·
I would say it's better to be on the safe side especially with your tuner. I am running 3.2 pulley on a stock motor with the JDM tune. Mine made 477 RWHP and 450RWT. If you like to run your car hard a lot I would say 3.4 to 3.6 so you wont have to back off. I don't keep mine in the 10psi range for very long due to the fear factor. If your car is a daily driver I would not worry about making that big HP number on the dyno unless you have the money to rebuild your motor.
I think you're on to something right there: once you start boosting these motors above 8 PSI, you should start putting money aside to build a motor.

It's not a question of if, but when.:)

#9 ·
Like others say, 3.4 or 3.2, I would think that you can get a safe tune for the either one. I would recommend the JDM canned tune or a really good dyno tune.

#11 · (Edited)
I would talk to JDM esp since your cam'd and ported sc I would also imo think about a ba 2400 and 60# when running around 470-500rwhp. I would start with the 3.4 and go from there with tuning and see where you at. Guys have run 11.20's-1140's with the 3.4 with stock heads and cams and a couple ( rare & htb) have run high 10's so also depends I would think how fast you want to go.

#12 ·
I agree with Force1 and start with a 3.4 pulley. I used to run a 3.6 pulley making 431/428 with #39 injectors and BAP. I considered going down to a 3.2 but at that point I would also install #60 injectors, GT500 fuel pump, 8 rib pulleys and a Thumper_rrr belt tensioner.

#14 ·
Damn you 91 octane!!! (Although I can't wait to move back to Cali.)

I've got a canned 3.2 tune from JDM until I get the new clutch installed. Once it's broken in I can strap it to the rollers.

The point is, JimIII (Jim Jr) @ JDM said the 39# injectors are fine up to the 3.2 pulley. On a cammed car with longtubes I'd say the 60's are a pretty safe bet. I've also been told that you can tune the car for the 3.2 and run the 3.4 with no issues.

I didn't hear that from Jim (forgot to ask), but that'd be a win for you if you're ever planning on pulleying from the 3.4 to the 3.2.

Did I mention I can't wait to move back to Cali? :D

#15 ·
Big Top, it makes no sense to tune my car for the 3.2 when I am running the 3.4...If I am running a 3.4, then I will be tuned for a 3.4. I understand the tunes will be similar, but no reason to do such a thing. I will also be running the 39# injectors...if they are good enough for the 620hp Extreme, they are good enough for me.

#18 ·
i thought you said this option fell thru. whats up Mickey??

#19 ·
All those questions you asked me for an opinion? Seems kinda odd to me

#23 · (Edited)
Mickey if you do around 460-475 rwhp on a 3.6 which should be around 11.20- 11.30's et that would be excellent and very efficient setup if you can do that on a 3.6 making around 7.5psi. I only know one person who has run a ported Saleen head before so looking forward to see your et's (vs dyno results) on that setup running a 3.6. I was thinking off the top of my head in my previous post a 3.4 @9.5 psi with a safe fat afr 11.4-6 (room to play) and 17-19* of timing on your setup.
I have seriously thought about porting the blower if I do a build but was waiting for JDM (this season) on his stroker to do it to see his et results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.