Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday I'm installing a 4r70w and need to get a tranny cooler very soon. Being a daily driver I would definately want one with a fan.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I run one out of a powerstroke with no fan and the only time mine has ever got over 180 is when doing back to back runs at the track using the trans brake.

I have no fan on mine but it is in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I called tommie vaughn earlier today and it would cost me $300. I suppose I'll get the b&m, just trying to find a good price.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I found mine off a ford trucks forum for 125 new

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well hell, since its only your twin guys, are you guys running scavenger pumps? My turbos are mounted where my fog lights use to be. I tried several things to not have to get a pump but didn't have any luck.

I ended up buying one from Fastlane in houston for $200. It worked great but ended up leaking after a short while. It had a plastic "head" on it and developed a crack. Tried fixing it with no luck. I went back to them and they had discontinued using them and instead went to a pump designed for turbo apps. It looked like a great piece and was pretty small but at $350 I figured I'd try to repair my original.

Finally I ran into a guy I hadn't seen in a yr or two, Eric Stubbs. He told me he was using a cheap ass pump from Harbor Freight that cost only $50. Said he runs them on all his race cars. He said he's had no issues with them but if he does he'll just go buy another.

And lasty, are you guys running and catch can system off of your valve covers? My car will smoke when I run it hard and thought it might be time to install a setup. I bought the MMR one but haven't installed it yet. Its designed to run off of one valve cover but would it be any better if I t-ed the two together?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I dont have turbos anymore but with yours that low you need some type of pump. I had the hp kit and I never needed one. When I sold the kit, everything looked great.

I just have a breather on my valve cover ds and it collects a little oil especially after back to back runs but I just wipe it off with a napkin. Daily driving it is fine.

·
2V powered
3,866 Posts
I've been running a scavanger without any issues since it was installed. I drive my car a lot on the street. I run a line from both covers to the catch can in the pic. I also run one .065 restrictor. It is placed right before the T.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hayden makes a cooler thatn is rated quite high nand is a small unit. Usually seen on ebay. Got the highest rated unit they have for around $65. Great deal and a simple installation.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Make sure you buy a "stacked plate" type cooler they are much more effective than a tube and fin type.

B&M makes a good cooler for $49 from summit

bandmsupercooler

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up getting a b&m 9" with a fan. I'm gonna go pick it up in the morning.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I run one out of a powerstroke with no fan and the only time mine has ever got over 180 is when doing back to back runs at the track using the trans brake.

I have no fan on mine but it is in front of the radiator.
VERY easy to install and works fantastic!!!! I had AN fittings welded on mine for my C-4 combo.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you send me the adress from where you got it from. I want to check it out.
I'm buying mine from Texas Performance in Houston only because they are local. They quoted me $245 over the phone but usually give me a discount in person. If you look around you can find them for alittle over $200. I saw a couple on ebay.

I didn't make it today. On the way my car started smoking. It was so bad I could barely see the cars behind me, lol. I figured it was the new scavenger pump I installed failed so once I towed it home I took the pump back and got a new one. Installed it but again it was smoking. Tomorrow I'll check to make sure the pump is getting power. If not, I'm not sure what the hell it could be. Its obvious the turbos are filling with oil.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I'm buying mine from Texas Performance in Houston only because they are local. They quoted me $245 over the phone but usually give me a discount in person. If you look around you can find them for alittle over $200. I saw a couple on ebay.

I didn't make it today. On the way my car started smoking. It was so bad I could barely see the cars behind me, lol. I figured it was the new scavenger pump I installed failed so once I towed it home I took the pump back and got a new one. Installed it but again it was smoking. Tomorrow I'll check to make sure the pump is getting power. If not, I'm not sure what the hell it could be. Its obvious the turbos are filling with oil.
The new pump may still be woring. Pipes will still smoke for a whie avter you flood them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After I installed the new pump I drove it for a few miles. Anytime I touched the gas it started pouring out smoke.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
After I installed the new pump I drove it for a few miles. Anytime I touched the gas it started pouring out smoke.
You might have blew the seals then.:mad2:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is in the back of my mind. One of the turbos is actually brand new as the previous one was making an odd noise when I installed my new motor so I replaced it instead of fixing it. I'm fixing to head outside and see if the scavenger pump has power to it. Wish me luck, lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts