Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am finally in a position to get blown. :)

I just can’t decide which way to go.

Either get my 98's motor rebuilt with forged internals and stick a centrifical on her.

Or sell my 98 and buy an 03 and a KB.

What do you guys think?

The car is only driven on the weekends and while streetability (is that a word) is a concern I can live with some small sh-t, reliability is a bigger concern.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Personally, I don't like car payments..... :D

Brian

·
Banned
900 Posts
Put together a '03 motor for your 98.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I say sell it and get the '03. (But I only say that b/c my girlfriend is looking for a bright atlantic blue Cobra... Personally I'd keep the '98. But we are local to you - it would go fast! LOL!!)

I think the '98's look nicer. Which is lighter?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Use the short block of the 98 which is aluminum and get 03 heads with the intercooler setup along with the KB supercharger to top it off. Ligther and powerful:jawdrop If I had that type of money:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
seems like the general concensus is to keep and build the 98. I wonder if i had asked this question the in "Terminator" Fourm if the results would have been any different :)

Anyone want to throw up some pros vs cons one way or the other? It just seems to me that the pros for going the 03 route out weight the pros for keeping the 98.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
BlueVenom said:
seems like the general concensus is to keep and build the 98. I wonder if i had asked this question the in "Terminator" Fourm if the results would have been any different :)

Anyone want to throw up some pros vs cons one way or the other? It just seems to me that the pros for going the 03 route out weight the pros for keeping the 98.
Well I don't think you will go wrong either way but I would keep the 98.

98 Pro's-
1. Unique
2. Paid for/Close to paid for
3. You build it the way you want it.
4. You will be proud that you built it yourself
5. People will show you more respect for building it yourself

98 Con's-
1. It's 5 years old
2. Small repairs will be needed from time to time

2003 Pro's-
1. Awesome platform to start with
2. Near bulletproof engine
3. Mod's are readily available
4. Looks great

2003 Con's-
1. Expensive car
2. Higher insurance
3. Won't get as much respect as building your 98

That's just a few off the top of my head.;)

Razor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Put a 5L big bore on it!!!!! I love those motors :) Would cost about the same as a rebuild for you cause you already have a block and crank....then you could still put a blower on it!!!!

Can you say, "BEAST!"

·
Registered
630 Posts
I say KEEP IT! Looks too nice to trade off.

Do a big bore 3.70 block with forged pistons and rods, billet oil pump gears, and put on some 03 Cobra heads ported/polished with oversized exhaust valves. As for boost, your choice KB or ATI.

Hmm or you could go all out and build a 5.4L DOHC. - John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ya i would really like to put a KB twin screw on her. that was actually what i was thinking a while back. i figured i could find a set of 03 heads, but the question is how many other "swap" parts am i going to need? I would also have to get a new set of headers. Would i have to get a factory IC from an 03 also?

how are thoes big bores holding up under boost? I thought i heard of problems due to the thin cylinder walls.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HWKRCNG said:
I say sell it and get the '03. (But I only say that b/c my girlfriend is looking for a bright atlantic blue Cobra... Personally I'd keep the '98. But we are local to you - it would go fast! LOL!!)

I think the '98's look nicer. Which is lighter?
LOL, there was one for sell a few months ago around here. 13K miles on the odo.

my 98 weighs 3380 with 1/4 tank of fuel. thats less than an 03 but by how much i dont know. Its got to be a few hundred.

·
Registered
660 Posts
What have you done to get the weight down? I need to give that some serious attention, I think...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the only mods that i did that reduce weight were the AL flywheel and AL drive shaft. thats it. your cobra should weigh in around 3400 (if it is a coupe) At the track i remove the spare tire and jack thats worth 20 or so pounds.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts