Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been running some ideas through my head on what I really want to do next on the 05. Its has ARH long tubes catted x pipe, BBR stage 1 cams, JLT, Steeda CMC deletes, pulleys, GT-500 TB, full suspension and ECT. Its on the stock long block with 80k on it but runs like a champ. Its not really the purchace cost that is keeping me away from blower, I have had them on my past mustangs, but I really wanna try something a little diffrent this time. Not to many people use the spray. Im not looking to do a huge shot on it. Maybe around 75-100. Ive used the search function but not a whole lot pops up when it comes to the 05-10 mustangs. Im looking at either the Zex Blackout kit or the the NX proton kit. Slightly more at the ZEX kit. When I do this I want as clean and stealthy install as I can get. So i will be trying to hide alot of the lines and ECT. So with all that said whos running what, any advantages to running a plate VS the nozzle? Any tuning conciderations besides what I already have done? Recommended accesories? And over all installation ideas. Im deployed right now so this wont happen till I get home, so thats why I ask now. Once I make it home in the spring I will try to do a nice write up on the install. Lets hear what you all got to say.

· Moving on up...
4,777 Posts
I have always been a big Zex fan. Their NMU allows for stealthy installs because of how compact they are. Are they smaller than a solenoid by itself? No. BUt I have done around 6 speay installs in various cars (trans am's, mustangs, etc) and the Zex kit IMO proved to be the safest and most reliable. I was able to do stealth install in my car, and it's completely unseen unless I point it out to people. The blackout kit from Zex is pure sexiness. The carbon fiber lines add a really nice appeal. However, decide how stealthy you want to go because you will have to cover all your lines in wire loom, and it would make no sense to pay the extra money for the blackout kit only to cover the lines with loom. The only difference between the blackout and normal zex kit are the color and the lines.

As far as performance. N20 is really simple and it's by far the cheapest power adder. It's easy to tune for, and like a best friend it's always there when you need it. But it's not mad at you if you don't use it. It will maintain your mileage when not in use

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always been a big Zex fan. Their NMU allows for stealthy installs because of how compact they are. Are they smaller than a solenoid by itself? No. BUt I have done around 6 speay installs in various cars (trans am's, mustangs, etc) and the Zex kit IMO proved to be the safest and most reliable. I was able to do stealth install in my car, and it's completely unseen unless I point it out to people. The blackout kit from Zex is pure sexiness. The carbon fiber lines add a really nice appeal. However, decide how stealthy you want to go because you will have to cover all your lines in wire loom, and it would make no sense to pay the extra money for the blackout kit only to cover the lines with loom. The only difference between the blackout and normal zex kit are the color and the lines.

As far as performance. N20 is really simple and it's by far the cheapest power adder. It's easy to tune for, and like a best friend it's always there when you need it. But it's not mad at you if you don't use it. It will maintain your mileage when not in use
Yea, I got my mind pretty much made up on the ZEX kit. Just seems to be the easiest and cleanest when come to the install. And I have heard lots of good things about it over all. One of the main reasons I want the Blackout kit is because the car is black and Im not a huge fan of bling under the hood. And I think it would look good with a little bit of the black line showing. I just have seen some installs that look like straight doodoo with a mess of wires and lines under the hood. And the big selling point is right there like you said, cost effective and you use it when you need it and no biggie if you dont. Im thinking though for a safety measure I will add a little to the fuel system. Ive had to learn the hard way with blowers is that with out the fuel system to back it up you might as well not even play!

· Registered
186 Posts
My friend has a 05 with similar mods to you, he runs a ZEX 100-125 shot. It layed down 415rwhp/507rwtq through a auto on the 125. He runs 7.39 in the 1/8. Quick and easy way to add an extra 100rwhp whenever you want it.

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friend has a 05 with similar mods to you, he runs a ZEX 100-125 shot. It layed down 415rwhp/507rwtq through a auto on the 125. He runs 7.39 in the 1/8. Quick and easy way to add an extra 100rwhp whenever you want it.
Is he running a tune with it or just a set of colder plugs then spray and pray?

Which brings up another question for you guys. I see that some say you can or should run a tune, or that you dont have to tune it. Reason I ask is because obviously I have it tuned for the cams and all the other stuff. So what happens when I throw nitrous in the mix as well? Say I have a it tuned for the juice but one day chose not to use the spray but mash the pedal for fun? Its a odd question I know, but ive been wondering how that works. Do I have load diffrent tunes?

· Registered
186 Posts
We had it dyno tuned. We had 3 different tunes installed on his tuner, motor, 100shot, and a 125shot. When you wanna spray just install the tune and go. Only takes a minute.

Also, I was told to never spray on a custom tune unless if is designed to. On a stock tune you can just pull timing but that would not be possible for you because of cams/mods.

Spray+pray=PAY

· Registered
1,280 Posts
all good responses. what is the cost to refill a tank, i thougt i heard $135.00 +. what's a shot good for 1/4 sec. in the quarter mile.how often you going to use nitro on the street?
super charger you have the power all the time and you have control of the power, more early cost but the hp you want ALL the time
when it comes to tunes, you will need for both types of driving, tune for add ons and tune fof nitros
i think that sct just came out with something that can be dash mounted and you can flip tunes easy ( i think, did not read the info they just sent me)

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We had it dyno tuned. We had 3 different tunes installed on his tuner, motor, 100shot, and a 125shot. When you wanna spray just install the tune and go. Only takes a minute.

Also, I was told to never spray on a custom tune unless if is designed to. On a stock tune you can just pull timing but that would not be possible for you because of cams/mods.

Spray+pray=PAY
Yea what your saying deffinantly makes sense reguarding the tunes.

all good responses. what is the cost to refill a tank, i thougt i heard $135.00 +. what's a shot good for 1/4 sec. in the quarter mile.how often you going to use nitro on the street?
super charger you have the power all the time and you have control of the power, more early cost but the hp you want ALL the time
when it comes to tunes, you will need for both types of driving, tune for add ons and tune fof nitros
i think that sct just came out with something that can be dash mounted and you can flip tunes easy ( i think, did not read the info they just sent me)
I have heard that it costs between 40-100 bucks to refill tanks. I think alot of it depends on who you go to. I think your last two points and the issue of having to switch tunes every time I want to run it would be the main factors in keeping me away from it. But one thing I do have to my advantage is that this is not a daily driver any more. Shes paid off and Cali is nice enough I get away with riding my bike year round. When it is crappy weather I would drive the stang. Wifey has the expedition... I dont know, lots of pros and cons. I dont drag race, maybe a short run here and there on the street, might have to be one of those deals where I just go for it and see how I like it.

· Registered
186 Posts
Nitrous averages $4.50 a lb so a 10lb bottle cost $45 to fill, last 10-15 runs. You don't absolutely have to change your tune every time. I keep my 150shot tune in my Mach1 all the time UNLESS if im gonna run a different shot of n2o or strictly on motor for the night.

· Registered
45 Posts
Nitrous gets expensive fast if you plan on using it frequently. I realized very quickly that it would have been best to have saved up for a supercharger. running a 125 shot with a 20lb bottle gave me about 100 seconds or so. That goes by pretty quickly. Then you have to find someone who can fill them, make sure the bottle is empty, and in a lot of cases drop it off and come pick it back up later. Just seems to be too much of a hassle IMO. It was fun while it lasted, but to each their own.

· Registered
453 Posts
I've never had the pleasure of using nitrous, but I'd really like to experience that blurry effect you get - like in the games. That would be cool...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.