Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess when you talk about your car to people, you don't like to say "If I could've done something different I would've....." But, thats been the case since I had my GT...Here in NY at the time I couldn't get a Zinc Yellow for months, finally found one, but one catch...it was an AUTOMATIC...((grrrr)) So as of late, if you read some of my posts, I have been saving, and trying to choose between Shaker Hood (waste, thank you for providing that link about RAM AIR!), X Pipe, and now finally the conversion of AUTOMATIC transmission, to a Manual...Whats involved in this? I can get a barely used Tremec tranny for I think $550?..Good? Bad?? what else is required to such a change?? is it worth it "financial wise?"...Considering I will be performing ZERO of this, it will have to be done by professionals...So I must figure labor in as well...ThanksJay

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
its a direct bolt in, you also need the computer for a 5 speed also and the tranny wiring harness, pedal assembly and few other odds and in. I am swapping a tremec 3650 into my 96 right now and so far so good

·
Registered
90 Posts
if you have some extra cash you might wanna switch to a t-56 (the cobra 6spd) Theres a ton of torque in first in those trannies! I was looking into a stock 3650 to t-56 swap and it turned out to be $2750 plus instalation. I know thats a steep price, but if you plan to make some good power, you'd have to change it anyway. just me .02

BTW: no biggy about that ram air link... just glad I could help :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
well as of right now I would say close to 1200.00 if you include the spec stage 1 clutch, triax shifter, bullit shift knob and steeda clutch cable kit. I got the tranny, clutch cable assembly which I still have if you need it, flywheel, pedal assembly and driveline all for 700.00 it had 9K on it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got the email from my local Mustang Shop...They do fantastic work..but heres the "checklist" of parts I would need....Where is the best place to get these or which company should I get for the various parts?? Again, if not to much trouble can someone give me a ball park figure again!?!? Thanks all for your help!!
..."You would need the transmission, pedal box, block plate, flywheel, clutch, clutch cable, computer, shifter, both shifter boots and transmission harness. ..."
The shop that does the work does incredible work on Mustangs and other cars as well...So as far as honesty and reliability I am no concerned with their work...Just trying to shop around for the parts...Thanks again Jay

·
Registered
138 Posts
check on corral you can find people on there with all the parts you need for under 1K also some items like the clutch I did not want a used one so I bought a new clutch kit and I wanted the nice steeda clutch cable kit also, also check www.stangparts.com for the tranny harness its 75+ shipping

1 - 8 of 8 Posts