Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I went with UPR's Chromoly K-Member and A-Arms. The coilovers and springs are on back order. I believe PA Performance has the best kit out, but it's damn expensive.

·
Registered
885 Posts
TruBlu01 said:
I believe PA Performance has the best kit out, but it's damn expensive.
I would be cautious of PA's K-members. From my personal experience, their build quality/fit is a little "spotty" - I went through 2 new PA K-members before they sent me one that fit correctly.
Luckily, I never even tried to install the 1st two - I couldn't even get the passenger-side A-arm to fit during a test-assembly off the car.
Here's some pics of the issue:

After sending the 1st two back (and waiting several weeks), I finally got one that fit the A-arms right.

One other thing - the K-member I received had no holes for the motor-mount "nipples", which help locate & secure the motor mounts to the K-member. As a result, my motor moves quite a bit in the K-member (several inches in fact!), no matter how hard I tighten the motor mount bolts/nuts. I need to take the K-member back off & drill those locating holes so the motor won't move.

Even though I had the above issues, the K-member is very light & seems very well-constructed, with nice welds & pretty beefy gauge steel. Just be sure you inspect & verify that all the K-member dimensions are correct before you attempt to install it... ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have some issues with the fitment of my PA K-member as well. I had one before on my 87 which was perfect, thats why I went with them again. After installing it it dropped my front end 3inches. The car was undrivable. It was not supposed to be a "drop" Kmemeber which they do offer. I solved this by removing my front Eibach springs and replacing them with my stockers. I thought all was good then for 4 months. Then 2 weeks ago I go to change the oil in the car and guess what....the K-member tube passes right in front of my filter so it cant be screwed off, even if I jack the motor up. Needless to say I am scrapping the K from PA and replacing it with a full D&D kit with the tubular arms and coil overs

·
Registered
885 Posts
Cobra99Dave said:
I thought all was good then for 4 months. Then 2 weeks ago I go to change the oil in the car and guess what....the K-member tube passes right in front of my filter so it cant be screwed off, even if I jack the motor up.
My K-member is the same way. I solved this by removing the filter while the motor mounts were un-bolted & the motor was raised
(if you raise it high enough, it will come off.)
I then installed a shorter oil filter - a Motorcraft FL-757.
Not the best solution, but better than jacking the motor up for an oil change...

As a side note, some other K-member designs (Maximum Motorsports for example) require a relocated oil filter on 4V DOHC engines due to clearance issues. They DO tell you this up-front though.

·
Registered
300 Posts
the Anthony jones K-Members fit the best. You have to remember as with all aftermarket parts there are going to be issues. But on all of our racecars and street cars we use the AJE, K-members and A-Arms.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Best comes down to what application is is going to be used for.

The Griggs and Maximum units are far superior to all others listed, but they are more expensive and are more geared towards road racing and not weight reduction like these are.

They are also not as concerned with large tube header clearance like you will find with the other units.

IMO although correct, I do not feel there should be issues with aftermarket parts....there is no reason a part should not fit correctly out of the box unless you are combining two aftermarket parts that might conflict. My MM setup fit without *any* issues - period. We had to make a modification due to the turbo kit, but that was due to the turbo, not the kmember. The 'close enough' attitude of some companies is quite disturbing.

It comes down to application, but weight not withstanding, the best on the market today would be the Maximum and the Kenny Brown if you are talking structural integrity.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for the advice Angus, Im gonna try unbolting the mount and see if I can get it high enough. How much extra clearance did that new filter give you btw?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Cobra99Dave said:
Thanks for the advice Angus, Im gonna try unbolting the mount and see if I can get it high enough. How much extra clearance did that new filter give you btw?
Go look at one at a Ford dealer & compare it to the stock filter - there's lots of clearance to take it on & off - it's pretty short.

A mechanic I know suggested it - he used the same filter to give him extra clearance when he installed a V-10 in his Grand Marquis... :jawdrop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts