Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's the problem. Last week my heater core hose popped off and my car came pretty close to overheating. Ever since then its been smoking real bad out the tailpipes (white smoke) Thinking it was a bad headgasget I didnt drive it much during the week.

I had my boss (ASE Mechanic) check it out. He used the NJ emissions tester to check if hydrocarbons where escaping from the coolant resovior. Nothing. Pressure tested the cooling system. Held 16PSI steady. (the water pump had been leaking too but wasnt yesterday) It idled for 20 mins, ran at 2500 for 5 mins, and idled for another 30 mins w/o overheating or moving past where it normally runs. I dorve it 50+ miles today w/o overheating. It did push coolant out through the closed cap, but I think my boss overfilled the coolant. There is no coolant in the oil. The car runs but smokes really bad. I dont know if its a headgasget or not. So what is up? Is it the h/g? Could it be anything else?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I would bet that intake has a crack in it somewhere allowing coolant to get into the engine. I know those intakes are notorius for cracking. And it may be that the crack is only opening up once the car has heated up.

Once again dude, you made my day with the sig!!! ROFL:lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
when mine cracked it was behind the alternator and only leaked when given throttle get under the hood and give it some throttle and check on the passenger side in that curve behind the alternator. I also heard that these cars dont show the usual signs when a headgasket is leaking. Only other guess woudl be to drive it and see if the water level is down any?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm. Only thing is the intake was replaced around this time last year as well as the radiator. I dont think it would still be covered under the recall, I had checked on that when the intake warped around the thermostat housing last year. The recall was only good from 7 years of the first date of service which ended this past Oct :(

Maybe I'm still covered under warranty for the intake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
take it to the dealer.. if the car still have less than 100, ooo miles . then they can fixt it for free. like my old 1996 GT. :cool:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FR-S8N said:
take it to the dealer.. if the car still have less than 100, ooo miles . then they can fixt it for free. like my old 1996 GT. :cool:
The dealer i brought it to said 7 years from first date of in service which expired Oct 02.

I'll have to check w/ another dealer.

Anyways did a compression check and all came back within specs so its gotta be the intake.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I posted on your thread in corral to I have an intake with new gaskets for cheap let me know

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
badfast96 said:
I posted on your thread in corral to I have an intake with new gaskets for cheap let me know
yeah I saw. I gotta find out whats wrong with it, if it is the intaKE i'll pick it up from ya.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts