Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good of an idea is to use wheel spacers for the rear. I was thinking about getting a 1" spacers.

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
think that might be too much, perhaps try 1/4 " doesn't sound like a lot, but a little goes a long way

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not hear much about spacers here so I was just wondering. My car is a 2001 with stock size 17x8 wheels and tires.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use the bolt on hub centric billet spacers from Eibach. They measure just over an inch at 30mm, they put my 17x8 wheels out where they should be.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have three inch ARP wheel studs, but I run an Inch spacer with out the studs in them. Makes it look nice. But on stock studs, you have to get hubcentric spacers.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I am going with the 1" spacers

·
Super Moderator
3,530 Posts
You brought up an old post, i'll try to help out. You should never run a very large spacer unless you have extended lugs at least. I ran spacers my 2013 WRX. On my WRX I ran 20mm spacers, which is about .78. I was going to run them on my 99 GT, but I bought new wheels which were 18x10.5 in the rear and I ran an IRS in the rear with lowered springs, so I fit the gap perfectly, if I ran a spacer I would rub the tire. The front were 18x9.5s. Even on stock wheels I wouldn't run anything too large as maybe 20mm which is .78 or 1/4" which is obviously .75 since you don't want to leave your stock lug nuts too little room to tighten down the wheel, that could lead to a dangerous situation. There are many factors at play here, even if you got extended lugs and spacers, now you have to roll the fender if you got too large of a spacer and you have to consider how much pressure are you putting on that one area as it wasn't designed for that. A small spacer is acceptable, a large one, I don't think plays into the correct geometry.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
You brought up an old post, i'll try to help out. You should never run a very large spacer unless you have extended lugs at least. I ran spacers my 2013 WRX. On my WRX I ran 20mm spacers, which is about .78. I was going to run them on my 99 GT, but I bought new wheels which were 18x10.5 in the rear and I ran an IRS in the rear with lowered springs, so I fit the gap perfectly, if I ran a spacer I would rub the tire. The front were 18x9.5s. Even on stock wheels I wouldn't run anything too large as maybe 20mm which is .78 or 1/4" which is obviously .75 since you don't want to leave your stock lug nuts too little room to tighten down the wheel, that could lead to a dangerous situation. There are many factors at play here, even if you got extended lugs and spacers, now you have to roll the fender if you got too large of a spacer and you have to consider how much pressure are you putting on that one area as it wasn't designed for that. A small spacer is acceptable, a large one, I don't think plays into the correct geometry.
+1^
Spacers are OK up to about 0.3125" but no more. Smaller is always better. More than 0.3125" means you should look into getting new wheels. Large spacers are unsafe. The size you were contemplating is an accident looking for a place to happen. Buy the right wheel — you won't be sorry and neither will your car

Ed

Reactions: P49Y-CY
1 - 9 of 9 Posts