Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, last thing engine wise that I have not switched are the valves. I am just wondering at what rpm and horsepower level do you guys think that the stock valves would cause a problem.

I have the modmax spring kit and have SHM blower cams in my ported heads.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D

Thats hilarious. Yeah, the cobra ones are yours. I was hoping to find out though if anyone has had trouble w/ the stock valves at high rpms and hp levels.

Only reason I asked about my heads are b/c obviously the Navi heads have the same valves in them.

Well, does anybody know anything about this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
cammin 4.6 said:
:D

Thats hilarious. Yeah, the cobra ones are yours. I was hoping to find out though if anyone has had trouble w/ the stock valves at high rpms and hp levels.

Only reason I asked about my heads are b/c obviously the Navi heads have the same valves in them.

Well, does anybody know anything about this?
The valvetrain with hold up pretty well, other spring have not proven that well yet. Stick with stock they will hold up.

Rob

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the other seem to break...... all of them!!!!!!!!!!

RH, I think modmax has corrected this problem. The previous springs that they were selling were made by someone else and there springs that they are selling now are supposedly much better. I have them in my heads now and have not had any problems yet. I haven't heard any of anyone having problems w/ these springs.

Anyways back to my original question. Does anybody know about problems w/ the valves and valves alone?

Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'd shoot Boss 330 a PM over at the corral, he's very knowledgeable about the valve train in these cars. you gonna turn it over 9? I think i'd run stock valves if not. I'm putting together a turbo car with navi heads, sock springs and valves(After talking with Al-Boss 330) I decided this would be ok. but my car is not going to spin over 7k, hence the stock springs....

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Charles,

Yeah, Al is the one building my intake as we speek. I have already got the Modmax spring kit, but have decided to stick w/ stock valves. I plan on turning the motor to just under 8k.

Good luck w/ your project.

·
Registered
207 Posts
cammin 4.6 said:
Charles,

Yeah, Al is the one building my intake as we speek. I have already got the Modmax spring kit, but have decided to stick w/ stock valves. I plan on turning the motor to just under 8k.

Good luck w/ your project.
Stock valves really have nothing to do with RPMs and how hard you spin the motor...The Benefit with going with a Stainless steel valve like Fererra now makes for the modular, is two fold...ONe, the design of the valve, combined with a nice valve job will increase flow and therefore increase HP...Two, the material of the new valves, will stand up to heat alot better than the factory powdered metal valves...Stainless steel valves will withstand greater temps, from detonation or lean factors...The stock valves are a good product, but going with a stronger valve, only helps you out, regardless of RPM...The common phrase, "valve float" that you may hear, has to do with the rockers or lifters and the spring package...Alot of the time, valve float will occur due to not enough seat pressure of the spring, causing the valve to "float"...The idea of making the valvetrain as light as possible to live with HIGH RPM's is the KEY factor here...I assume thats why mod max went with a single spring design, rather than a dual or triple spring...Dual springs, provide a more balanced seat pressure, as it can be distributed through each spring, rather than all in one with the single design...

Going with titanium retainers and locks, is a good measure to keep a HIGH RPM motor alive...Take a look at what a Hot Street motor uses, in terms of its valvetrain...The spring issue is a big debate these days and the stock ones seem to work fine , if you keep the motor under 7600 rpms or so...You can't hurt yourself by going with a stainless steel valve...

Jeff

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jeff,

I was aware that the valves do cause an increase in HP. I didn't understand why Modmax didn't make the springs double or triple like you said. But, the way you explained it makes sense. I do plan on eventually replacing the valves. But, obviously as usual money is the issue here. My main purpose in this post was to see if in the general area of HP and rpm range that I plan to spin my motor this year would create a problem. I am thinking 800 rwhp and about 7600 or so rpms will be fine. Well atleast for a little while.

Thanks for everybody's help on this one!

Later.

·
Registered
129 Posts
thats right, we chatted a little through PMs @ corral right? Well, I got my intake in a few days ago, its a sweet looking piece! now where or where did i leave my turbo........

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Charles,

Yeah that was me. Glad to hear ya got the intake. When do you plan on going together w/ it. Al is working on mine and hopefully shipping it next Wednesday. Hopefully mine is going together Valentines Day Wknd but w/out the charger:mad:

I just need some fuel injectors or is that money for fuel injectors?

Later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey, what injectors are you going with? I've heard alot of people are having tuning issues with 50's. The 42's seem perfect. I recieved my 96's yesterday! Woo hoo....

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, I guess your talking to me about the injectors. I am going w/ the Hi Imp 55s. Everybody seems to like them alot and haven't really heard of any issues w/ them.

96s?, I thought you were going w/ 83s.

Later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We, talked to some people that had problems with the FAST and 83's. So I guess the 96's were the way to go.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds good. By the way got the heads in today. The porting begins:D I will give you a call a bit later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts