Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

When drag racing 03 cobra, car bucks after shifting to 2nd/3rd gear?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  lguerra1 
#1 ·
This weekend Im installing my new clutch quadrant, clutch cable, and firewall adjuster. this will get rid of my shifting problems. I would speed shift 2nd - 3rd, 3rd - 4th and since the 03 Cobra has this weak self adjusting clutch mechanism, it engages MUCh too early and it sorta " bangs " when I drop it back into gear. So while I am running, the car bucks then gets back up to speed. Im not going to race it anymore until I fix this. I also have reason to believe that it is the driveshaft, so Im getting the retorqued as well under warranty ( has anyone done this? )

Has anyone else had this problem? When I shift to 3rd gear, it kinda bucks and then it gets going again.. almost as if the clutch is engaging too soon... will everything Im doing solve this problem? Im going to bring my car into my dealer anyway because there is MUCH too much slack in my driveshaft.. if Im going along in 6th gear.. get off the gas, then hit the gas again I hear a BANG in the back, and Im certain its my driveshaft. Simple warranty work, Right?

-Ryan

#3 ·
Make sure the TC is off....I am sure you do. If you shift at a lower rpm, it might just grab that much better and cause it....if its happening at a high rpm shift.....maybe the timing of your shift and clutch work with the clutch engaging better now..is off and causing the engine/computer to retard timing alittle..not sure exactly...just typing outloud. Its a reply anyway :D

#4 ·
Mine occasionally does the same thing. I don't think it is clutch related. I'm not sure why mine does it. The first time I thought since I was low on fuel, maybe I uncovered the pump on the slam of the shift. Later it did it with more than half a tank, so I gave up on the low fuel theory.

Do you have your boost bypass valve unplugged or otherwise disabled? mine is bypassed and it still does it...

JT

#5 ·
Also...my dad's Mach 1 does that when he shifts aggressive at say...4500 to 5000 rpms....once in awhile....when he rings her out to say...6,200 rpms...it has never done it.....no boost on these cars...must be something to do with the computer sensing something ...I dont know....but atleast we know its not just the Supercharged Cobra's doing it. My Mach 1 hasnt done it ...yet :D

#6 ·
I asked the same question and it was answered here:

http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3132

As for the quadrant and firewall adjuster, yes it still is the right thing to do but not for that split second hesitation. If you want that gone ask your chip tuner to eliminate it OR just simply speed shift or power shift, trust me that eliminates it. This MOST often happens when you are taking someone for a "test" drive.. you want to show them fast but don't care to show them a brutal shift and neck snap..what ends up happening w/ timing retard is a worse jolt then you might get slamming the gears.. oh well.

Jerry

#7 ·
Its only when I speed shift..

I'll do the firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant and new clutch cable.. see if I can change my shifting.

This is causing me to lose tenths, I can tell!! I cant shift nearly as fast as I used to in my 360R!

It really is pissing me off.. there has to be a way I can switch this.

-Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.