Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember hearing that it's possible to change when boost comes on. For example, instead of coming on at 0", the boost could start kickin' at 5".

Can someone clarify please? Anyone? Rick?

·
Registered
481 Posts
4sfed said:
I remember hearing that it's possible to change when boost comes on. For example, instead of coming on at 0", the boost could start kickin' at 5".

Can someone clarify please? Anyone? Rick?
What does 0" and 5" mean?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Re: When the boost comes on...

Hot Rod Harry said:
Glad you asked that..I was wonder the same thing.
Inches? Inches of vacuum?

Harry
Sorry. Yes....0" and 5" is inches of vacuum.

How do I know if Rick did this in my chip? Is there a cut off date? Would I be able to have it reburned?

G

·
I guess you should just give Rick or Linn a call tomorrow if you can. That would be your best bet since he did your chip originally and ask him on the phone. I think I remember Uncle Jimmy V. saying he uses Ricks chip and every time Jimmy needs a new tune...Rick does it for him with no prob. Something like that..just trying to help

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra (tuned by Nitrous Pete www.Nitrous.com)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hot Rod Harry said:
I guess you should just give Rick or Linn a call tomorrow if you can. That would be your best bet since he did your chip originally and ask him on the phone. I think I remember Uncle Jimmy V. saying he uses Ricks chip and every time Jimmy needs a new tune...Rick does it for him with no prob. Something like that..just trying to help

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
2003 Cobra (tuned by Nitrous Pete www.Nitrous.com)
Cool! Thanks! Will do!

Hey....since I've got your attention, I have a Kenne Bell question in regards to this: Does the KB always place the engine under boost? Or is it the same as the Eaton where the boost comes on at a certain point.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
The KB has a bypass valve jsut like the Eaton does, so no boost can happen if vacuum is present.

There's no possible way for boost to start at 5" Hg vacuum. Boost is air pressure above 1 atmosphere. If the intake has vacuum, boost is not possible.

What you are thinking of, I believe, is at what point the dump valve closes. This is an old trick the L guys have been using for years. The dump valve closes earlier (at a higher vacuum), so you are guaranteed boost as soon as it's possible, not when you dump valve finally gets around to closing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IWRBB said:
The KB has a bypass valve jsut like the Eaton does, so no boost can happen if vacuum is present.

There's no possible way for boost to start at 5" Hg vacuum. Boost is air pressure above 1 atmosphere. If the intake has vacuum, boost is not possible.

What you are thinking of, I believe, is at what point the dump valve closes. This is an old trick the L guys have been using for years. The dump valve closes earlier (at a higher vacuum), so you are guaranteed boost as soon as it's possible, not when you dump valve finally gets around to closing.
LOL, it's good to see someone was awake in physics class.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts