Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When should I do the first oil change and when should I switch to synthetic (I already know that I want to)?

Also, WHICH should I use? I keep hearing all kinds of stuff and can't decide. 5w-20 is what is recommended but I've always used 10w-30 in all my cars. I've seen some peopls use 5w-30. Also, I've always used Mobile 1 synthetic but read a few bad things from you guys on this board. Please advise, thanks.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Amsoil 0W-30 started after 2500 miles. Absolutely the Best ! But it is $$. Also use a Filtermag. It is almost scarey what I got out of the First Filter change with a Filtermag on from 13 miles to 1450 miles.

:D JLL

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I think that either the Mobil 1 or the Amsoil are both excellent choices for synthetic oil. Bad things about Mobil 1? Maybe just typical Internet misinformation. Probably just that.

I think that it is important to wait on synthetic until your engine breaks in. I asked many experts about this when my car was brand new. Synthetic can get into fine pours in the engine metals and stay there. That's a good thing for a broken in engine. But there's a remote chance that using synthetic before a good break-in period can inhibit the rings from sealing into the cylinders. That, in turn, can lead to a blow-by problem.

I did 3 oil changes with the Motorcraft Penn crewd that Ford recommends. (One after about 300 or 400 miles and two after 1000 miles each). Doing an early oil change is a good idea because brand new engines can encounter metal dust from initial break-in period.

I then went to synthetic.

I know a guy with a muscle Mustang and an expensive race engine. He ran something over and blew a hole in his oil pan. He didn't realize it until he got home. There was NO oil in his car and he could follow the trail in the street right to the high manhole cover that caused it. He traced his steps and discovered that he drove about 4 miles with no oil. He repaired the pan and the engine was 100% fine. If he hadn't been using synthetic oil, that engine would probably have seized.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HAMMER said:
I think that either the Mobil 1 or the Amsoil are both excellent choices for synthetic oil. Bad things about Mobil 1? Maybe just typical Internet misinformation. Probably just that.

I think that it is important to wait on synthetic until your engine breaks in. I asked many experts about this when my car was brand new. Synthetic can get into fine pours in the engine metals and stay there. That's a good thing for a broken in engine. But there's a remote chance that using synthetic before a good break-in period can inhibit the rings from sealing into the cylinders. That, in turn, can lead to a blow-by problem.

I did 3 oil changes with the Motorcraft Penn crewd that Ford recommends. (One after about 300 or 400 miles and two after 1000 miles each). Doing an early oil change is a good idea because brand new engines can encounter metal dust from initial break-in period.

I then went to synthetic.

I know a guy with a muscle Mustang and an expensive race engine. He ran something over and blew a hole in his oil pan. He didn't realize it until he got home. There was NO oil in his car and he could follow the trail in the street right to the high manhole cover that caused it. He traced his steps and discovered that he drove about 4 miles with no oil. He repaired the pan and the engine was 100% fine. If he hadn't been using synthetic oil, that engine would probably have seized.
Thanks for the info. That story is all too familiar. In fact, practically the same thing happened to me just a month ago in my built 1987 GT (331). I was at the store and on my way home the oil pump seized up on me and I drove probably 2 miles or so without any oil pressure. Checked the bearings and everything and the motor was perfectly fine. Gotta love synthetic!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts