Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better - 12" Big Mouth K&N, 9" Big Mouth K&N, 9" K&N?

I know this might have been touched on before, but...

I currently have a 9" K&N in my car from a 97' Chevy 454... it fits nice because i dont even need an adapter cause the OD of the filter is the same as the ID of the stock adapter...

Anyway, would it be worth it to get a 9" Big Mouth or a 12" Big Mouth over my setup?

Also, should I get the adapter to hook the filter directly up the MAF?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Good question I too am thinking of going to a big open ended conical!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: Which is better - 12" Big Mouth K&N, 9" Big Mouth K&N, 9" K&N?

TopRacer said:
I know this might have been touched on before, but...

I currently have a 9" K&N in my car from a 97' Chevy 454... it fits nice because i dont even need an adapter cause the OD of the filter is the same as the ID of the stock adapter...

Anyway, would it be worth it to get a 9" Big Mouth or a 12" Big Mouth over my setup?

Also, should I get the adapter to hook the filter directly up the MAF?

Thanks...
Top Racer, it is a proven fact that a 9" Inverted Conical Filter on any Forced Air Induction Engine will produce efficient results, verses an open K&N Cone Filter. The airflow has to be pulled in through the sides of the cone filter, whereas the Conicle filters pull the airflow directly in from the end and sides of the filter, hence reducing any Turbulence effect that might be present.

We stock and incorporate these S&B Conical Filters into all our Performance Packages for the 03 Cobra's. This kit as shown on our website. It also includes a Stainless Steel Hanger for the filter, to keep it stabile after installation. Hanger not shown in picture, but we furnish it with our kits. Hope this helps.
http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/cobra_products_powerstack.htm

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
The Hanger Is important..If filter is just laying there you loose some surface area.It also could be too close to the cover if your useing one.
I dynoed 3 cars with covers and after remeing Cover they made a few more ponies on the dyno..How it would work with hood closed and going up the track might give different results..

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I removed my Hood Blanket and snipped the the plastic covers that mostly cover up the vents in the hood, I think this helps with underhood heat quite a lot, an avid racer I know told me to remove the rubber trim on the back side of the hood as well, he said this will work with the vents and scavage most all hot air from under the hood, if I can keep the underhood temps down as much as possible then I believe the big open conical is the best setup no shield and all!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Last year I ran a 12 inch open filter now I am running my own design of a 14 inch filter with a custom cold air intake system and man does it make the blower whine like none other. It was a pain in the butt to put in but with my small hands I could do it again for anyone else. My opinion is the more air the better, my opinion though, and I have had great results with thus far.:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts