Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
off the top of my head , JT, chillfactor, hot rod harry,totalled, JGordon, I am leaving out several I know, but how many of you guys have had a chip burnt while on the dyno, or are your guys tune mail order stuff with just dyno time afterwards, trying to get a feel of who is running the better times and such with what type of tune , over the phone and through the mail or actual on the dyno tuning??? No disrespect to names not mentioned, feel free to provide numbers and what type of tune as well, all are welcome!!!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course Nitro, Hammer and all the big dogs with the KB's would be in another league, like comparing apples with oranges!

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Not to take anything away from the tuners we have here but I think they will all agreaa that anytime you can get the tuner in the car on a dyno you will have a superior tune. Thats not to say you cant get a decent one via mail order but from experience the extra money to get them in your car on a dyno is money well spent.

G

·
I havnt had mine on a Dyno yet. Nitro has had my car and checked the air/fuel and setup my chip as per tunes he has done on his car when he had the same mods I have. The tune is pretty darn close. Because my plugs are a beautiful golden brown tan color and the car pulls super hard from 3500 to 6500. I have no dead spots or anything I feel is hurting me. But it will be nice once I get my car on a Dyno with Pete running the show.

Just have your a/f checked and if you trust your guy you are buying the chips from...then things should be pretty close. Yes..I know who your guy is...just not saying :D His initials are PM or also NP

Hot Rod Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Definatly one of the benefits to the 03 cobra is that there are only 3 EEC codes. I know when trying to get my truck tuned via mail order its a royal pain and I have a mediocre tune at best.

·
Banned
2,034 Posts
I got my car tuned by JLP and so has totaled. I put my car on a dyno and tried a couple of different tunes just because I was there and not one of them beat JL's out of the box. JL does a beyond great job and he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Each time I ordered a cookie cutter chip they were always too lean. It is not one size fits all. Every engine is a little different, and every geographic area changes the way your motor runs. I cannot say enough about tuning a chip while the car is on a dyno with an a/f meter. You can make a couple dozen runs and fine tune the power and a/f curve at every 1000 rpms till it's perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Never had the Cobra on a dyno and my previous Lightning which was pretty quick never was on one. I believe if you want to be one of the fastest at the track you must have a tuner tune you on the street or track as F8lbite mentioned above and in our case JLP has given us an awesome tune :D

I do believe people such as Highroller who dyno frequently are a great benefit to us all as they find out which mods work the best. I know I have learned from Matt with my Lightning and now my Cobra.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think these Cobra's are more picky than most cars. I have never had any problems with a mail order chip until now. My latest JMS chip is too lean. I'm getting ready to visit one of these guys up north (after the snow finishes) and get it done right.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Jim,
Thanks for the kind words:) I do agree that i am a dyno junkie:D with over 175 dyno pulls between my 01L and now my 03 Cobra i pretty much now what makes power and what does not! Good luck on getting that 10 second pass this weekend:jawdrop

Matt

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Matt where in IN. are you located, seems as if Raymer is getting out of the 03's, I am located in Southern Indiana, I would like to go with Nitro's tune if I had someone knowledgeable on the dyno as yourself?? Cant beleive I forgot Roller and F8L , !! :eek:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Trey,
I live in northern Indiana near Ft.Wayne,i race with (Haveight) alot when are work schedules allow us to get together.Whatever chip you decide to go with make sure you tell your tuner what pulley your using.From all the dynoing i have done lately with chips i feel my car runs best at around 12.2-12-4 air-fuel with 93 octane at the exhaust tips which would be around 11.7-11.9 at the header.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you guys get your tunes so close, is their a tuner up there that does the chips?? 12.2-12.4 sounds great , the last thing I want is some ultra rich chip, right now after a hard nights driving there is black soot on my satin bumper cover from the stock rich as hell factory tune. Once I select my pulley what would U suggest for getting my car dialed in??Where , who, etc, etc!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I first ran a Diablo from a tuner who like most took it from the BB for the chippers. I than had Sal( PSP auto logic) down tuning our Lightnings at the dyno and he did a custom chip for me while he was here, I now have a chip from Rick ( AZR ) and will dyno next week to see how well it works. However the difference from the custom tune and the BB tune was 13 HP and he changed my tq. curve to a more aggressive posture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts