Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to bolt the intercooler to the 2300AX Whipple? The stock style bolts bottom out...so I am a tad confused. What do you use?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I do not have a Whipple and have never installed one........but if the stock bolts bottom out and they did not supply you with shorter ones.

1) Cut off the excess on the bolt to make them shorter.
2) Go buy new bolts that are shorter.
3) Drill and tap the holes deeper to accept the OEM bolts (if there is enough material).

--Joe

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you bought your Whipple new, it should of came with those bolts which BTW are stainless steel material.
If you got your blower used, I'm guessing your seller didn't give them to you.
I would suggest you take a stock one to a hardware store and figure out the thread and diameter and get the length you need. Problem solved!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
They're metric 5mm x .4 I believe. I got the tap at work but can't remember now. Just go to the hardware store and get some shorter stainless ones. Also the bolts only need to be 1 1/2 times the thread into the blower. So about .350+ is plenty. It's aluminum so I'd make them .350 - .400" into it. All of the bolts on the blower are longer than they need to be.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. I was going to cut the stock ones, but I was kinda scared of that since I don't have a nut to thread on them to clean the threads up after I cut them. I am going to head to the local nut and bolt store tomorrow and see if I can find what I need. I just wanted to make sure that they didn't need to be anything special!

Brian, thanks for the help today, BTW.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Your welcome and the bolts are 5mm x .80

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly, I'd just contact Whipple and get a replacement set shipped out to you in a few days. It is my understanding that you should not reuse these bolts.
You shouldn't, and I am I not reusing the stock bolts. I am using new bolts that I ordered from a Ford dealer. I am going to go to my local fastner supply store and buy the correct length today though.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Brian, thanks for the help today, BTW.
Yeah he is an alright guy that helps us all out isn't he :tip: And to think what it would have gotten us if everyone had jumped on the bandwagon and said he was "copying" someone else's work... we wouldn't have another option in blower, etc. porting :bigwink:

They're metric 5mm x .4 I believe. I got the tap at work but can't remember now. Just go to the hardware store and get some shorter stainless ones. Also the bolts only need to be 1 1/2 times the thread into the blower. So about .350+ is plenty. It's aluminum so I'd make them .350 - .400" into it. All of the bolts on the blower are longer than they need to be.
Dammit Brian... speak Engrish to us here! Some of us country folk might not know how long .350-.400" is ya know :rofl2:

:Translation: The bolts need to be roughly 3/8" long from underneath the head of the bolt to the end. Of course these are metric bolts so 3/8" might as well be greek... 10mm will work just fine for that :grin:

Shannon

·
Registered
889 Posts
Stock Bolts Are Like Grade Three Pos's. Use Stainless Or Grade 8 Bolts. Last Thing Anyone Needs Is A Broken Bolt In The Blower. That Sucks. P.s. Use The Washers And Lock Washers With Them. Or Just Put Silicone On The Threads And Use Washers. Keeps Them From Backing Out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Stock Bolts Are Like Grade Three Pos's. Use Stainless Or Grade 8 Bolts. Last Thing Anyone Needs Is A Broken Bolt In The Blower. That Sucks. P.s. Use The Washers And Lock Washers With Them. Or Just Put Silicone On The Threads And Use Washers. Keeps Them From Backing Out.
the whipple package does not use washers and recommends using a small amount of red loctite on the threads to secure them. might be a good idea if you have no choice but to reuse the stock bolts though

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I guess this isn't the time to say I've used my stockers 5 times now huh?:shutup: They've always came right out and went right back in.

Stock Eaton, Port, Whipple, Port again, back to Whipple. Car has low miles so maybe that's helping.

·
un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,448 Posts
our secret

I guess this isn't the time to say I've used my stockers 5 times now huh?:shutup: They've always came right out and went right back in.

Stock Eaton, Port, Whipple, Port again, back to Whipple. Car has low miles so maybe that's helping.
SHhhhh....... I won't tell no one LOL I'm a tight a$$ and sometimes impatient too,but if your careful and use some gd thread lock and make sure bolts aren't stressed you'll be ok. btw posi I think we might be neighbors, I live in central Indiana, what part of Ky are you from????

mofasta:scare:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Oldham County just up I-71 from Louisville. Tri-County Ford is about 5 minutes from my house. Where do you live? Now keep in mind I don't know much about Indiana. Bass Pro Shops or Carriage Ford. That's where I bought my car from.

·
un1230/Whipple3.4/ Teksid
2,448 Posts
Oldham County just up I-71 from Louisville. Tri-County Ford is about 5 minutes from my house. Where do you live? Now keep in mind I don't know much about Indiana. Bass Pro Shops or Carriage Ford. That's where I bought my car from.
I know exactly where your at I used to run up and down through there twice a week, btw I'm 90mi north of Louisville on I-65 just south of Indy actually the town of Shelbyville

mofasta

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys, yes, I use red locktite on them, and I have some lock washers I might use, but that depends on how much of the head I have overlapping the intercooler itself. We shall see.

On a side note, I can't put the blower on the car anyway since it is damaged from shipping. UPS dropped it, and bent the pulley. Well, I thought that it was just the pulley so I got my buddy's pulley off his 3.4L whipple, and it's not just the pulley. The hub(shaft?) that the pulley mounts on is bent as well. The guy I got the blower from did not put insurance on it (WTF...$2000 blower...no insurance?!) so UPS won't do shit, and the seller doesn't want to do anything.

So; with all that being said, can the snout be removed with the blower on the car, and if the hub is bent, what all in there will have to be replaced? Help guys, help!!

PS - Yeah, Shannon, Brian is an alright guy....;)

-Hunter

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bump...

What all would have to be replaced if just the flange that the pulley mounts on has a slight (.5mm) wobble to it? It's very very minute but I want to fix it... Can I get just the hub, or do I need the shaft too? Or do I need a whole new snout assembly?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Man I wish I could help more but I'm not sure on the hub. Maybe someone else will chime in on it that's taken one apart. If it's just the hub then you'd think you could buy one from Whipple. Then again they might not sell it to you and make you do a front drive rebuild. If it's only bent .010" or so then you might be able to get someone to dress the front of it in a lathe and not throw your belt alignment off. Chances are it's bent more than that though and if it wobbles at all it's going to do some damage internally.

I'd say try and get a new hub though and get that one off. I wonder if the Metco pulley puller will work?

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info, Brian. I can probably get a new snout from Whipple, which might be overkill, but then again that might be all they will sell me.

Like I said, it's a very very small wobble with the pulley on. (What I mean is that with the pulley bolted to the hub, the edges of the pulley wobble about .5mm, and that's an inch and a half or so out from the hub, so it's magnifying the wobble of the hub itself.) You can't see the hub wobble unless you are really concentrating. It's small enough that I could put it on the car and I am 98% sure that it wouldn't throw the belt at all, but I don't want to mess the blower up worse if there's a bigger problem internally (bent shaft).

If I can, I'd like to just get a new hub and shaft, and I think that would fix my problems, if I have the inside of the snout pictured in my mind correctly. I am going to call Whipple today when they open and see what they can do for me. I would think that I could just order the parts myself and not have to send the blower in or anything.

I will post updates when I speak with Whipple.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.