Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aware that Whipple recommends that we change the oil every 100k miles in our superchargers, but I checked my sight glass the other day and the oil was pretty black inside (it was clear when I filled it). I presently have about 18k miles on the whipple, and I think I'd feel better if I got some fresh oil in there. My questions are as follows: Is it ok if the oil is black inside the glass? And if I'm going to change it, what's the best place on these superchargers to drain the oil(A pic would be awesome).

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is yours a polished case? If so, I had the same problem last year, and was concerned about it. I talked to Art @ Whipple, and he said that they had a few polished case blowers that somehow ended up with the polishing rouge on the inside of the blower case, thus causing the oil to turn black. I changed mine anyway just to be safe. I made my own wrench from grinding down a 23mm socket and welding it to a 10" long piece of thin steel. I was able to fit it between the blower case and the crossover and take off the sight glass. The oil wasn't really too bad, but the sight glass had polishing rouge built up inside of it, which was causing it to look like the oil had turned completely black. I siphoned out as much oil as I could with a little hand siphon pump, and just filled it back up through the top of the case like normal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, mine is a polished one. Your solution to draining it is interesting, do you know if there's one of the plugs (probably on the bottom of the blower) that is specifically used to drain the oil?

·
Registered
503 Posts
The plug is on the lower left (when looking at the blower) of the gear case. You don't have one of these Silver?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The plug is on the lower left (when looking at the blower) of the gear case. You don't have one of these Silver?
How funny, I looked all over or so I thought, and never saw a drain plug. Even Whipple said there wasn't a real drain plug, but now I see what appear to be drain plugs on both lower sides of the gear case on the front of the blower...a 5/16 hex bit fits both "plugs"...I can't believe that! LOL. I'm still keepin the awesome tool I made!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts