1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry bad with names..
who is the guy with the yellow vert with the sport/light bar in it
does ford offer t his ?

i got tossed tonight at Atco for running 12's. been running 12's since the day i bought it.

any help thanks !

sean

·
Registered
282 Posts
CDC sells a light bar for our cars but it is NOT a roll bar. You'll need a cage to pass tech under a 13.99.

KO

·
Registered
82 Posts
I decided to have a cutom roll bar made. I just need to save a little more for it but I should have in on by June. Check with Jim V. I think he had one custom made for an older vert and when I was looking, it looked like that shop did nice work. Sorry, I can't remember the name.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Their website is down tonight (for me) but www.rhodescustomauto.com makes bee-you-ti-ful stuff.
I have a 4 pt rollbar but will not post pictures until we are finished with the details. It is designed to be a 6 pt, but we are working out details. I was not prepared for how much the bar tightened up the vert. Great improvement.
JW

·
Registered
72 Posts
jhwalker said:
Their website is down tonight (for me) but www.rhodescustomauto.com makes bee-you-ti-ful stuff.
I have a 4 pt rollbar but will not post pictures until we are finished with the details. It is designed to be a 6 pt, but we are working out details. I was not prepared for how much the bar tightened up the vert. Great improvement.
JW
I have seen there work and it is outstanding! Here is some pics of a Lightning (that just got faster :jawdrop and left my garage)

The link is Eric's Cage

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, that was the place I was thinking of. I wish I lived closer to it, I am not crazy about my choices locally.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
What are the rules for verts? Do you need a 4 point, or 5 point to go under 14.00? does it need a crossbar behind the seats? Do you need 5 point belts?

Sorry for all the questions, I was hoping someone who knew could post so the vert guys knew what they need.

JT

·
Registered
237 Posts
Rhodes work is beautiful. It's like seeing a really hot chick that you will never touch, it makes my stomach hurt. I've seen some average stuff, theirs makes me wish I could just fly the car out there. My bar came out pretty, but I want to powdercoat it and get the back seat fixed before I post pictures.
4 point is good until you start going fast -- under 12 sec. The rules are a little goofy to me. They can be found on NHRA.com as I remember.
You know, the rollbar builders are concerned about liability. They want the bar to be strong beyond any question. I have asked that it be strong enough for me to have a chance to live after a rollover. Accordingly we added some gussets that don't hurt the look.
Since I put the rollbar in, on my drive to work someone trys to challenge every day. So I've been driving the 10.5" ET Streets to work for the last couple of days. No spin there ha ha.
JW

Tommylightning said:
I have seen there work and it is outstanding! Here is some pics of a Lightning (that just got faster :jawdrop and left my garage)

The link is Eric's Cage

·
Registered
82 Posts
JT said:
What are the rules for verts? Do you need a 4 point, or 5 point to go under 14.00? does it need a crossbar behind the seats? Do you need 5 point belts?

Sorry for all the questions, I was hoping someone who knew could post so the vert guys knew what they need.

JT
This is copied from the NHRA web site. I contacted the division office to see if I could make the crossbar removable so I could still use the back seat. They told me the crossbar could not be removable but I have seen several go through tech and pass so I think I will try anyway.

When do I need a roll bar or roll cage, and what should it look like?
A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.99. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
and here are the guidlines from NHRA regarding a roll cage.

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts