Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that several of the KB people have been complaining of shredding belts, throwing belts, and breaking belts like they were going out of style, what's the problem that is causing this and what can be done to fix this problem? :confused: All that power is great, but it ain't worth a shit if every time you try and make a pass it eats a belt. :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only time I have heard of a KB belt breaking is when they are running 25+ lbs of boost. Harry broke his on the Eaton but i think he said it was an alinment issue? Im not real sure.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a Kenne Bell and I have not broken any belts ! I finally got the idler moved upper on my 6# lower combo so now I am making 19#s total with a 3.25 upper and a new Metco9.02" 6# lower. Gates belt with Metco idler no problems yet !!

JL :D

G

·
Yep...seems the KB's are breaking when up in the boost and my prob wasnt alignment..was more of a too much tension with the 6 lb lower and stock idler next to it on my modified lower stock cage....it created alot of stress on the belt and after about 300 miles or maybe abit less...the belt just gave way.

I think these belts were not designed to take all this stress we put them under with all our upper idler pulley mods for more belt wrap and knocking off the tensioner stop to get a smaller belt on to make it tighter and then the lowers spinning everything faster and even those new upper blower non slip pullies...alot has to do with it ,whether its an Eaton or a KenneBell.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
617 RWHP and I haven't had a single belt problem for over 2k miles. Every belt problem that I've seen has idlers that move back and fourth with a touch of the hand. My Metco's are perfect - thanks Pete!!

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I know over spinning the hell out of the blower with big crank and small blower pulleys shreds belts.

But idler pulleys that wobble aren't exactly conduscive with extended belt life either. Not everyone who is shreding belts is living on the edge with their cars. I've seen it.

G

·
I understand that buddy.....

those idlers do not wobble....believe me..after this weekend..I have checked into everything possible and watched and looked and checked.....

Harry

·
Registered
521 Posts
For you KB guys, is it better to run a larger lower than to run a smaller upper, or are some of you running lowers because you had them on there before the KB? Doesn't KB offer uppers for just about any boost you want. Just curious. Does Pete run a lower also to reach some of the boost levels he seen? I know for the Eaton, we run lowers because we can't get to the boost levels like Harry without it.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
as far as I know, KB offers up to 22psi with the blower, but you can go higher with a lower pulley. And last time I heard, nitrous pete is running a larger crank pulley with the KB

·
Registered
661 Posts
I never had a belt problem , any blower's ,
peace nitro

Want the combo call nitro :cool:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I found out mine was a bad idler pulley, that was slowly shredding belts, until it peeled itself like a grape, and I got a nice gash in my hand to prove it, all fixed now.:D

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
My friends near Stock car Shreaded Belt cause Tensioner came loose,,Prolly not tight from the factory..
Took bolts out put lock tight on them before tightened it up..OK now..

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Factory idlers supposed to have some drag??

Are the factory idlers supposed to have a slight amount of drag to them?? I had my belt off today and went to check them and spin them and they will not spin freely, seems they have some drag on them, I know my 100 mm Billetflow spins much more freely!! Is this normal??

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Re: Factory idlers supposed to have some drag??

trey193 said:
Are the factory idlers supposed to have a slight amount of drag to them?? I had my belt off today and went to check them and spin them and they will not spin freely, seems they have some drag on them, I know my 100 mm Billetflow spins much more freely!! Is this normal??
Trey IMO the stock idlers drag is due to the rubber grease seal in the bearing. I removed one to check the grease, and it freed up the idler a lot. Doug uses better bearings in his idlers. I had a stock one go bad in the tensioner, and it sounds like I have a flock of crickets under the hood. My Ford dealer has been trying for two weeks to order the right tensioner for me, hope it comes in before this one lets go!

Bill

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
2K Bill did you actually remove the seal and some grease to free it up??, I am gonna do something, parasitic drag is never a good thing!!:)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
trey193 said:
2K Bill did you actually remove the seal and some grease to free it up??, I am gonna do something, parasitic drag is never a good thing!!:)
Yes, just to inspect & re-grease. I put the seal back on afterward.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The stock idler pulley bearings are ****, which are quality bearings. I use Billetflow products (can vouch for the quality) and I'm sure Doug uses quality bearings also, but the stockers are premium. Removing the seal will destroy the bearing in short order on a street driven car, as the seals are there to keep dust out and lubrication in. I'm glad to see you put the seal back in. Remember, in rainy weather those bearings get all the dirty cruddy rainwater coming through the grille and the radiator. No seal and that bearing will be history in only a week or two.

The chirping crickets problem is not the bearing, but the resonant quality of the solid stamped steel idler in conjunction with a cheap belt. Forget Motorcraft, I personally would not consider Goodyear, but I switched to a Gates Green Stripe and have not had any further problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts