Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First , thanks to all for the condolences in the other thread. it has been a rough couple of weeks, but I'm starting to get a little back to normal.

Anyway, took my car for it's annual inspection, which in parts of PA includes a sniffer test while the car is run part throttle on an chassis dyno.

My car failed the hydrocarbon, put out 77 over the limit of 71.
I have all my emmisions equipment intact. I thought that the chip didn't do anything part throttle so I left it "on".

The other weird part is, one time last year, to try out a race tune, I mixed in about 5 gallons of leaded race fuel with about 8 gallons of unleaded. At the time, all the people with me assured me running a mixture with leaded one time, would not damage the cats?

Anyway, this test is semi-expensive and a pain in the ass, so I want to be as sure as I can be that I have the problem rectified before testing again.

Should I just switch off the flip chip and try again, or should I try to get another stock h-pipe to put on. It seems there should be lots of stock H-pipes around. :)

JT

·
Registered
793 Posts
Unless your chip is malfunctioning or malprogrammed, bet it's the cats or O2 sensor. Any codes in the computer?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
JT said:
My car failed the hydrocarbon, put out 77 over the limit of 71.
You put out 77 or 148?

JT said:
The other weird part is, one time last year, to try out a race tune, I mixed in about 5 gallons of leaded race fuel with about 8 gallons of unleaded.
:nono
Leaded fuel is a big nono with cats it might have messed them up. I would put the stockers back on and try it do you know anybody with a shop that can measure hydrocarbons? How much do they charge for the test?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Why didn't my car pass emissions?

toofast4u said:
You put out 77 or 148?

:nono
Leaded fuel is a big nono with cats it might have messed them up. I would put the stockers back on and try it do you know anybody with a shop that can measure hydrocarbons? How much do they charge for the test?
It put out 77.

I still have the stock H-pipe on the car, and while I guess there are lots of take-off H-pipes floating around, I don't know of any that I could have locally for nothing.

I really don't want an aftermarket H-pipe, too noisy.

JT

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Why didn't my car pass emissions?

JT said:
It put out 77.

I still have the stock H-pipe on the car, and while I guess there are lots of take-off H-pipes floating around, I don't know of any that I could have locally for nothing.

I really don't want an aftermarket H-pipe, too noisy.

JT
Bring it to Ford for warrenty then.

·
Registered
684 Posts
if you are located in NJ area or close i could lend you mine, it just sits in my shed, has been off since 1500 miles on the odo., i now have 16,700. so i know the cats are good. let me know.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You might want to check the cats. I had a test performed with the chip in and had an HC reading of only 1.98 ppm. Stock was 1.83ppm. That was with a 2.80 pulley, amazon cai, and amazon chip.

The difference with yours, which could be huge, is our test is only done at idle. Not a part throttle run on the dyno.

Make sure your car is at operating temp. That makes a huge difference, and the idiots at the test station will never let you know. Hope you get things figured out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know in my State some places have the older sniffer equipment and some use a newer one which simply plugs into the computer port under the driver's side dash. On that model, if the computer says the 02's and emissions systems are working the car passes. I wonder if you can just take it to a station that uses that model or are all smog tests in PA sniffer tests?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Was your car fully warmed up when he tested it? If it was than i would say the cats are starting to get weak possibly from leaded fuel you used. Cat converters are typically covered for 7yrs/70000 miles, so i would either find a mod friendly dealer or put it back to stock and take it into the dealer and tell them what happened. If you have access to a scanner/auto tap you could see if the cats are getting weak by comparing the front o2 sensor switch rate to the rear o2 sensors. the rear sensors should stay pretty flat lined only moving a little at most, if they switch from 0-1volt like the front sensors then they are bad for sure! The diablo chips like to turn the cat monitor off so the pcm won't turn on the light even if the cats are going bad!
Leon

·
Registered
603 Posts
leaded fuel is a no, no when it comes to cats...but before you change the cats, try the 02 sensors as someone previously posted...I've heard that the lead starts sticking to the 02 sensors and we all know how sensative 02 sensors can be...a super rich condition is bad for 02 sensors alone, just think what 5 gallons of leaded fuel would do...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
The O2 sensors are very expensive. I would bring it to ford as an emissions problem and let them fix.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I tend to disagree, I've ran leaded race fuel with cats all my life, I've never had a bad cat. I know they do go bad in the long run. they should last you about a year if using daily or 2 or 3 using it occasionally. so if you used race gas once it shouldnt have hurt your cats. take it back to stock and it should pass.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I dunno about PA, but in Ohio you can get collectors tags for any limited production car, and not have to be tested for emissions. You have to be able to show it's not you only car, ie not your daily driver, that's the only catch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts