Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a blue M6 GTO and the thing shifted easily and smoothly and have heard the same about the corvettes, I hear nothing easy about shifting the same trans in our cobras. I know GM uses a hydraulic throw out bearing on most of their vehicles, is this the huge difference? I'm to the point that I'm wanting an automatic mach one or a Lightning just to get away from the T56. Is their a difference between our t56 and Gm's? Did Ford cheap out on us? Most importantly, can we make ours perform like Gm's. I've beem through two shifters, upgraded clutch, quadrant, and firewall adjuster and now I'm finally waiting for the snow to melt to try out the Penzoil synchromesh fluid, but I'm almost certain the shifting is going to fight me?????? Has anybody tried to make a GTO's hydraulic to bearing work on our Cobras??? I am tired of throwing money at this shifting issue, and would like to move up to a twin screw, but what's the point if you can't shift what you have already???

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Yes, it's because of the hydraulic TOB. However, that smoothness around town results in often difficult WOT shifts. The T56 in my SS was very unpredictable when speed shifting or power shifting. It's a trade-off. I've had both and prefer the cable clutch for a high performance setup. That's not to say there aren't hydraulic setups out there that work great both around town and at the track.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I would say it is more because the synchros are triple triple. Call D&D if you want to upgrade, but keep in mind it is like a $2300 mod. I priced it last summer from my buddy who works there, so it is likely quite a bit more.

--Joe

·
Registered
322 Posts
Any issue that I have had with shifting have been my fault. For instance I bounce it out of 3rd gear every once in awhile at the track. This only happens when I am rushing/forcing the shift. If I just push from 2nd to 3rd with out shoving it it works fine.

I like the way the T56 powershifts.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
To drastically enhance the cobra T56 shifting you should do the following. Change out the stock clutch quadrant to an aftermarket one, switch to a centerforce clutch, change the fluid to Royal Purple Syncromax. These mods made my cobra shift incredibly smooth around town. Wide open trottle shifts are much easier, especiall the 2 to 3 shift.

·
Registered
322 Posts
To drastically enhance the cobra T56 shifting you should do the following. Change out the stock clutch quadrant to an aftermarket one, switch to a centerforce clutch, change the fluid to Royal Purple Syncromax. These mods made my cobra shift incredibly smooth around town. Wide open trottle shifts are much easier, especiall the 2 to 3 shift.
Good info, but I am not sure about the centreforce clutch, all the 9 second cars I know use SPEC or have gone auto.

·
doing it with a 2v..
2,589 Posts
i think its the tob.. Try driving an s197, they have the 3650 just like the later 2v gts and shift sooooooooooooooooooo much better its hard to believe they are anywhere near similar..

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say it is more because the synchros are triple triple. Call D&D if you want to upgrade, but keep in mind it is like a $2300 mod. I priced it last summer from my buddy who works there, so it is likely quite a bit more.

--Joe
So gm's use this triple/triple synchro upgrade? If they do and it works, I'd be into it.At this point though I'm scared of spending any good deal of money and still playing hell to powershift or even speedshift consistantly. If someone can confirm that the M6 GTO's have this triple/triple synchro technology and we don't, that would verify that it's not the t/o bearing, and I may give DD a call. Is that 2300 for the parts, or parts plus installed into your tranny?? All I know is that I romped on that LS2 GTO five or six times through at least third gear and never missed a shift, even though it wasn't near as fast, but I sure as hell would have missed at least one shift in my car that I own and am used to!!

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts

--Joe
Joe's nailed it. The other stuff all contributes but the big deal is what is called triple cone synchronizers. The Corvette was the first to come out with them for their implementation and they have been finding their way into other applications usually GM. The new 6060 versions of the T-56 all use triple cone synchronizers.

The synchronizer's job is to match gear speeds on shifts so the sliding collar the shifting fork is moving can engage the next gear. Transmissions with large gear centers, the distance between main and countershaft, are inherently stronger. The T-56 is among the largest of the OEM units at 85mm. Even TKO-600s only have 83mm centers. The good news about large gear centers is strength, the bad news is shifting difficulties as the engine speed goes up. TKO's are notorious for poor shifting above 6500. The problem is the large gear centers and no triple cone synchronizers.

If I were going to spend $2K+ for triple cone synchros I would look into a T-6060 box that not only has them from Tremec as standard equipment but also comes with a 600 ft/lb torque service rating. Sell the old T-56 and install the new.

The next step up comes from Rockland and G-Force with their Son of Tranzilla and Street 6 Speed. Both units are somewhere around 800 ft/lbs of torque. There is one more step up from these units also from Rockland and G-Force and it is the current bad boy T-56. Rockland calls theirs Transzilla and it has a torque rating of 1000 ft/lbs. I believe G-Force has a comparable unit but I have forgotten its designation.

The best news about all these units is they all use the T-56 case and therefore can be easily installed without custom fabrication. Another benefit is they all use triple cone synchros.

Ed

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The next step up comes from Rockland and G-Force with their Son of Tranzilla and Street 6 Speed. Both units are somewhere around 800 ft/lbs of torque. There is one more step up from these units also from Rockland and G-Force and it is the current bad boy T-56. Rockland calls theirs Transzilla and it has a torque rating of 1000 ft/lbs. I believe G-Force has a comparable unit but I have forgotten its designation.

The best news about all these units is they all use the T-56 case and therefore can be easily installed without custom fabrication. Another benefit is they all use triple cone synchros.

Ed
I was keeping that info to myself :bigwink: But yes, in the very near future you will be able to get a 6060 in a T-56 case......direct bolt in from Tremec.

--Joe

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would you keep secrets, I don't need an edge on the competition, I just want my car to shift as good as a goofy GTO. But thank you eschaider. I'm not telling anyone what I'm going to be next year for haloween, it's a big secret.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So Cobra T56 trannys have only dual cone synchros, and many GM's have three??

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
So Cobra T56 trannys have only dual cone synchros, and many GM's have three??
I shouldn't tell you this since you got your panties in a bunch from my previous post, but since I am a nice guy......

F-body T-56's have the same synchro setup as Terminator T-56's. The GTO, CTS-V, and Corvette all have the triple-double setup. This means that on these transmissions, the 1/2, 3/4 and the 5/6 synchros have three components, an inner cone, a double-sided friction cone (with carbon-fiber on it) and an outer blocker ring. On Terminator T-56's (and F-body transmission) only the 1/2 has three components, and the rest just use a single carbon fiber-lined blocker ring.

--Joe

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the GTO has better shifting on the 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6, and not the 2-3, and 4-5 shift??? This Gto I drove also went into third alot nicer than my Cobra when powershifting. I'm sorry I got my panties all tied up earlier, it just seems that the more we share our knowledge on these cars, the better name ford will have on the streets, I'm sure right now there's some very misinformed people that think Cobras are slow because of people missing shifts.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Soap, will a GTO or Corvette T56 fit easily into our Cobras if a donar car was found?? It seams that this would be cheaper than 2K+ to modify our existing transmissions.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Soap, will a GTO or Corvette T56 fit easily into our Cobras if a donar car was found?? It seams that this would be cheaper than 2K+ to modify our existing transmissions.
I already replied to your other thread but for some reason it got deleted.

If it were me I would not try and fit a GM T-56 into our cars, to much shit to deal with (hydraulic TOB, different length driveshaft etc). Sell your T-56 and but Tremecs new T-56 with the TR6060 guts.

--Joe

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.