Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if we stripped the paint off the heat exchanger would it make it more effecient? Im not sure if the black paint helps in heat absobtion or not.

Ive got some really good paint stripper that I know would work.. Plus it would give you that aftermarket heat exchanger look.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
That's a good idea. What would be the easiest way to do that?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im thinking a good strong paint stripper would be perfect. Im just wondering if the heat trasfer would be improved or not?

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
svtman said:
That's a good idea. What would be the easiest way to do that?
Prolly the acid bath(or what ever it is) they use at radiator shops. The big tub the soak it in prior to repairing and painting, my guess is it strips everything off and cleans if up, inside and out.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Well, there is a question of function vs aesthetics here. JT has an aftermarket 3-core heat exchanger and it is not painted.

It looks OK with his Sonic Blue color, but I am not sure it would look good with all Cobra colors compared to the stock black. JT's REALLY stands out in the nose of the car.

Now that's all fine and worth it IF (if is a big word for two letters) it yields substantially increased cooling. But JT feels that it does not. I would bet that it's not worth anything noticable either. Do all that and have a goofy looking exchanger for what?? 2 degrees cooler after 30 minutes? NAAAAH!!!!!

I have an aftermarket 3-core exchanger that just went on my car. But it's painted black. I no like the shiny silver color in the nose.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
HAMMER said:
I have an aftermarket 3-core exchanger that just went on my car. But it's painted black. I no like the shiny silver color in the nose.
Hey HAMMER,

I've been trying to source an aftermarket heat exchanger for a while. What are the specs on yours (vendor, price, avail., etc.)

Thanks,

MJ

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
mjchip said:
Hey HAMMER,

I've been trying to source an aftermarket heat exchanger for a while. What are the specs on yours (vendor, price, avail., etc.)

Thanks,

MJ
MJ, call [email protected]'s for details. I don't wanna say any more than that right now.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
HAMMER said:
:) ;)

Aaaah.... It's nice when people are on the same page.
Affirmative.

MJ

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hey Hammer is JT open tracking his car or primarily drag racing. The reason I ask is I doubt that the drag racers would see a gain from a larger heat exchanger and might be better off with a CO2 system spraying the factory heat exchanger. But for open track I would expect to see noticeable improvement if heat soak is actually an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts