Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rick suggested the FJO but with datalogging they want 966 for the damn thing. andersonmotorsport makes a setup thats 550 and looks damn near the same, im not sure if it datalogs though. is anyone else here running a setup like this that can point me in the right direction. i really dont want to spend a grand on the damn thing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not into building anything, lol. the anderson is only like 100 bucks more and i think they have em in stock. the aussies page says they are on backorder and wont start shipping those units until the 12th. plus i dont think i would get much in the forum of tech support from the aussies. that one doesnt datalog does it? i hope the anderson does. i saw a pic on svtperf of someone that had one in their car, just dont remember who

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just called anderson. their setup doesnt datalog. it will in about 3 months but there will be a cost for parts/software of between 60-210 dollars

damn i need some money

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I hear ya...so far I haven't even found time to install the parts that are stacking up in my garage!

you can datalog the output from that unit to a palm pilot using an additional piece of software

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JB said:
yeah, I hear ya...so far I haven't even found time to install the parts that are stacking up in my garage!

you can datalog the output from that unit to a palm pilot using an additional piece of software
the aussie setup or whos? there is one called the lambinator or some crap that i need to look into first. i think i might be spending the 966 on the mack daddy fjo :(

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
If you are considering spending nearly a grand, check this one out too.

http://interstice.com/~garfield/

Here's an email response I got from them after I sent some questions in about the dual head and the pro models.

> I have a few questions.
>First is how do you pick up the RPM signal? I have a Mustang Cobra with coil-on-plug.

On the Pro/SuperPro, you can use either a coil primary signal, or a clamp-on inductive pickup (included). Since you have a COP setup with no exposed secondary wiring, your best(&only) choice is the coil primary. So you'd need to tap into the primary on cyl#1 coil connector; that should work fine for you.

>If I read it right, the EGOR can only read inputs of 0-5V on any monitoring channel?

All general purpose logging channels are 0-5V, but the special channels for signals that need extra hardware or outside the 0-5V range, like RPM, Ignition Advance (uses crank/cam position + rpm sensor inputs), injector duty-cycle/pulse-width, EGT, +Batt, etc. are all special purpose channels/settings that get translated to a 0-5V signal that then gets datalogged. The range of what these 0-5V signals represent is configurable on the Pro series, so for example, max RPM can be changed to anything from 3000RPM to 15000RPM. That way, you get to use the max resolution of the datalogged output, and the displays on the Pro. ANY input can be displayed both alphanumerically AND on the fast LED bargraphs, so this configurability feature is important to making the most of the displays.

>How could I say graph in a RPM, and MAP sensor along with a/f data?
>Is there some sort of calibration for the map sensor output to the EGOR?
>Or am I on my own to convert the data to a readable chart?

Sensor curves vary from mfg to mfg (like Ford vrs. GM, etc), so you can define the calibration for any sensor (especially the non-linear ones) in the logging/graphing software. AND you can also do this for the displays on the Pro, because it allows you to input a series of points to define any arbitrary curve of 0-5V vrs. some output value. This allows you to display MAP in actual kPa or PSI or inHg or whatever, on the display, instead of just the raw 0-5V. Also nice if you want to display intake air (or aft intercooler temps) in either degF or degC. The meter comes loaded with default curves for the 'special' channels, and some common sensors, but they (the translation curves) can be easily tweaked/changed/entered via the keypad on the front of the Pro.

>I'd like to get the dual head setup but the Pro models look nice with the datalogging.
> I'm just leary of how the datalog can be converted into something that's easily read like a graph..

The datalogging software takes care of all those mysteries, as far as graphing, and the EGORpro's ability to map sensor outputs to displayable units takes care of the display end of things. What is stored in flash or laptop logging files is the actual logged 0-5V data of course, so you can remap/retranslate/redisplay those thru either the logging software or display playback (if playing back flash contents on the SuperPro display, for example).

>What does this mean?

>"TWO independent AutoCal (push-button) free-air or initial NTK factory switch-selectable calibrations"

Ahh, yeah that's a bit terse.

This should help: EACH AFR sensor channel (on the Twinhead, Pro, & SuperPro there are two), can be independently calibrated one of three
ways: (1) initial NTK factory calibration, using the so-called CalR calibration resistor embedded within the sensor connector, (2) our exclusive push-button free-air calibration procedure, built into all EGOR meters, or (3) if you got your sensor from us, you also got a full-sweep gas calibration chip that plugs into the back of your EGOR, and gives you the highest accuracy AFR measurements possible on the planet. All models also allow you to monitor any sensor aging.

Commentary: (1) We don't recommend using the NTK factory cal for tuning, since it's a fairly sloppy 5% calibration, not intended originally by NTK for 'measurement' accuracy, but it's still quite useful as a baseline check on the sensor. (2) Our built-in free-air calibration will give you 0.2AFR accurate measurements all day, every day, and is perfectly adequate for all but the most finicky tuner. (3) The full-sweep gas calibration that comes with every NTK sensor bought from us, will give you better than 0.1AFR accuracy, and essentially gives you the very best accuracy possible with the NTK sensor, so it's as good as even the $10K gear you can get from Bosch/Horiba/et al.

[BTW, we know this for a fact, since we have both lab gas standards and a Bosch LA-3, as well as Horiba and ECM equipment here we crosscheck every EGOR against, just for a sanity check. But the gases especially tell no lies; personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone buy AFR equipment from a vendor that didn't have the ability to calibrate/test their hardware against gas standards. Anyone else you're shopping with, ASK them if they do this routinely at their plant. Also, obviously if their AFR meter doesn't have a free-air calibration procedure that's been tested against gases, you might want to avoid them also. All the higher end mfgs like Bosch, Horiba, ECM, NTK, all use gases for calibration, not just someone elses equipment.]

Cheerio, and HTH,
Gar
Gar Willis
Principal Engineer
EGOR Techno
3491 Edison Way
Menlo Park, CA 94025
650-216-9874
[email protected] (email)
www.egortech.com (website under construction; view with IE)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how bout it, Mark?

the Oz unit will datalog if you get their optional LED display module and software from some other guy...I was gonna wait for the fully digital version 2 that's supposed to come out next month, so I haven't bought a sensor yet.

I had forgotten that mjchip was talking about putting one out.....I'd much rather buy from Mark than that Aussie guy

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
matt lankford said:
does it datalog? and how much total do you have tied up?
$600 AU should convert to about $350 US for WB Unit, cables, Display. The NTK L1H1 wideband 02 sensor cost another $148. from The Parts Bin. That should put it right about $500 for the whole shebang.

·
400 Posts
One thing to remember is scan time. these units don't even advertise it. Most wide band o2 sensors cost $350 and up. These generic sensors have a very short life time. Please be carefull with these. Have your car check with a good one first so you know your car is safe. I've done alot of research on these and tried most. The FJO has good scan times and has several options., plus they use a bosch sensor.

Rick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yep, ive found that in my reasearch today, the FJO is the real deal, just 2x the price. its only money though. apparently the pricing is strictley set by FJO at 966 for the setup i want. widebando2.com said they would beat anyone elses price by 10 bucks but couldnt just make me a deal on it. they also said no one has ever found it cheaper. he said he used to sell it for 850 but almost got the product yanked. hey rick, stick one on your web site for a day or 2 until he matches the price for me, 799, lol

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
AmazonRacing said:
One thing to remember is scan time. these units don't even advertise it. Most wide band o2 sensors cost $350 and up. These generic sensors have a very short life time. Please be carefull with these. Have your car check with a good one first so you know your car is safe. I've done alot of research on these and tried most. The FJO has good scan times and has several options., plus they use a bosch sensor.

Rick
The NTK sensor I mentioned (L1H1) was spec'd for a 1995 lean-burn civic motor, and costs $350 from Honda. I have heard that they are fairly robust. Bosch resells them, but they are now getting hard to find. Were you referring to this sensor specifically in your post?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WELL, the australian until updates 5 times a second, as does the fjo. the fjo is 966 with data logging and the aussie would be less than half of that. hmmm, only benefit to the fjo is that i could have it by tuesday it seems

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GULP!, i just did it, damn you rick. 950 shipped for the mack daddy FJO setup. everyhting is included. i will start crying now :shocked

1 - 19 of 19 Posts