Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to organize a Group Purchase for an affordably priced, fully digital, Wideband A/F Ratio Meter. As I understand it this kit comes fully assembled with everything you need, including a Bosch 5-wire sensor (but works with others). Some of the key features of this meter are precise AFR measurement, real time data display, and data logging for up to 44 minutes for later analysis on a PC. Also up to five additional inputs can be logged (RPM, MAF, MAP, TPI, etc.). Eventually boost will be one of them too. This means you'd have the ability to say measure AF, Boost, and RPM. Then I think you can later graph verse one another.

Let me know if you would be interested, I can direct you to more information, and formally organize a Group Buy.

Group Buy of (5) = $334.00 + free shipping
Group Buy of (10) =$324.00 + free shipping

[email protected]

LINK LINK LINK, WideBand A/F Meter

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric,

If you would please email me with your name and email address for now. I'd like to get this thing going by weeks end.

I just tell them our names, we pay individually, once the due date has passed, everyone has paid, they ship out.

With you included that'd be three for certain. I've got at least two others that are interested too. I'd like to get 10.

Email me when you get a chance. I'd like to get these things very soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I hate to be a spoiler, but you might want to do a little research on those meters before you fork over the $$$$.

These meters were discussed in great length and with huge enthusiasm on the YahooGroups Haltech Support mailing list. A lot of guys there were all tickled to death at the discovery of this extremely low-cost meter. However, there are at least two or three of those same guys who were so enthused about the meter that immediately had problems with them. If you're anything beyond somebody who just wants one because they're curious about how they work, you'd be wise to stear clear of this one until it's a bit more polished. In its present form, the display is terribly small, the harware is extremely light-duty, and the entire form-factor is dependent on having a PC connected for its advanced features to work.

Anyway, a friend of mine brought this thread to my attention, and though I'm sure I'm hurtin somebody's feelings by posting this, it'd be wrong of me not to say a few words of warning before guys go out and buy a meter of questionable quality, use it to tune their expensive engines, only to have said engines blow up because the meter was wrong.

Buyer Beware.

BK

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yup,

I discovered this meter just by searching around the net for a Wideband A/F meter. It does seem like a relatively new product with lots of potential.

I myself would be using it as a piece of mind. Make a change, monitor the A/F to make sure everything is ok.

Yes they seem to have had a few bugs, all new product do. They also seem to have excellent customer service.

** Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the majority of the initial problems with the software for the PC? Not really with the meter? I don't know, just my impression.

I guess it's just personal choice and a weighing of risk. Is the price worth it?

Thank you though for your opinion. It will be something to consider.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What critical features and logging parameters does the FJO Enterprise have over this particular GP unit?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have anyone considered a EGT gauge? I would think they work as well as an wide band. Read cold/running rich, read hot/running lean.

Any idea's?

Rob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Onelfastlride said:
birdinator,

LINK

Left hand column, FAQ, then Why not tune AFR based upon EGT.

Hope that helps a little.
I read the link and it does make sense. But let say you have too little timing, which causes heat, builds up in the cylinder. Now the exhaust gasses will tend the leave the exhaust ports hotter, which I would guess, not effect the A/F because your not adding or pulling fuel or air out of the mixture. Wouldn't an EGT gauge be very helpful at this point?

Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
I saw one of these in use this past weekend in a car that was dynoing at La Rocca's. The numbers were identical. I also saw one of the DIY units in use. That one was reading about .5 richer then La Rocca's wideband, so it was definitely off. The LM-1 looked pretty nice.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RdRunnr,

Thanks for chimming in. It is nice to hear someone has saw one in action.

So as I understand it, the LM-1 and La Rocca's wideband on the dyno both showed identical #'s?

thanks again

·
Registered
47 Posts
Onelfastlride said:
RdRunnr,

Thanks for chimming in. It is nice to hear someone has saw one in action.

So as I understand it, the LM-1 and La Rocca's wideband on the dyno both showed identical #'s?

thanks again
That is correct...the #'s were identical between the shop's wideband and the LM-1. I was paying attention because I had been debating between getting the DIY kit and the LM-1, so now I am leaning towards the LM-1 myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Onelfastlride said:
Scroll down, last post on the page.

LINK
I don't know,
I looked at the link. The screen looks very small. If your in 4th gear with the petal to the floor, isn't it going to be hard to read let alone mount the meter to the dash some way, some how. The dataloging it a great thing but you need to read the meter there and now before you run the car lean and blow the engine.

What do you think?

Rob

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
birdinator,

I agree. Screen looks somewhat small. But there are work arounds.

PASSENGER! They read and log. Also you can mount a perminant display to be run by the LM-1's accessory port.

The RPM accessory sounds like it's almost ready, days.

Don't forget to check out SVTperformance.com for tech. questions answered by Innovate.

Yup, I'm learning and using this thing just like anyone here.

·
Registered
374 Posts
2F2F said:
Can someone with a unit and experience with it, chime in...?
I have had one for about a month and love it! The logging works great too. The display is small, but since it logs, who cares. You can't tune by reading the display anyways, would be silly to try.

The best things I like about this unit is the price, the logging capability and the fact that it uses an O2 sensor that costs $28.99 through certain vendors. Obviously that price will likely go up in time as momentum gains on this product like it did for the NTK sensors, but thats why I bought a spare.

I have mine permanently installed so-to-speak. I wired it directly in the car and ditched the cigarette lighter adapter. I hid all the wiring too, so it's not obvious it's installed. I pull it out from under the seat when I wanna use it. I just leave the sensor in all the time.

I say if you are looking for a wideband, it's a good value and very solid product.

Tony

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.