Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...How many of you guys have actually performed wideband road tunes w/ uphill loads? In conjunction w/ a chassis dyno tune. I feel that the two are necessary components of a proper tune. Just curious...

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
road tune.......

Wow......finally someone with the right outlook on tuning.....dyno's are NOT the final answer.....taken many cars off dyno's(that provide NO load to simulate the weight of the car) only to find them lean on the wide band.......congrats on your knowledge!!:D dyno's are great for a back to back comparison of parts to determine the differences in performance( both good and bad) but believe this guys.....cars were tuned way before chassis dynos , and they are still tuned better on the road or tracks, with the ASSISTANCE of a chassis dyno to get new combo's in the right general area. Seems like everyone is just worried about racing dyno #'s and that will be a problem to be faced from now on. Remember the basics and use ALL the tools available to us today, dynos, wideband sensors and lets not forget the most inportant one, since it is in the direct line of fire and ALWAYS tells the tale.....the sparkplug! :shocked hermann

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hermann, Ox,
Both of you have hit the nail right on the head. For the majority of us that are using these cars for street cars, to see the occasional strip, it is best to get a tune using all variables. That was one reason why I went with one of Ricks tunes. He is going out his way to see what works on the street, dynos, and at the track. But regardless of what tune, always look at your plugs to see what is going on.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Luis is right!

We used to run 2 stroke bikes up the straightaway at the track, full throttle up through the gears, and then chop off the throttle and kill the engine.

We'd roll it back to the pits, pull the head and cylinders off and check the plug and the underside of the piston crown for color.

Nothing like a plug chop after a heavy load at WOT to let you know what's up in the combustion chamber

John

·
400 Posts
This is the only way I do my tunes. All the tunes that I have are done like this. It is the only way to have the full load on the car and tune for drivability. A dyno can't simulate 6th gear at 1400 rpm for tip in. I data log 10 parameters plus I data log the a/f with my wideband. I also can print this out (a/f and all parameters) for the customer in chart or graph form. This is an awesome help. If the customer calls and says I have a problem in 5th gear with detonation at low rpm all I have to do is pull the chart and I know at a glance what the timing and a/f is on that program. At the dyno I really don't feel good about depending on the condition of someone elses equiptment, such as there a/f. So I'd rather rely on my own wideband when tuning.

But now one of my good friends just got a mustang dyno. This thing is awesome! You can simulate any road conditions with it.
A true load factor is easily done also.

After this season I will be looking into a mustang dyno. I'm also changing to a 5 gas analizer instead of a wideband. These are much beter to tune with and balancing cylinders. The better you can balance the cylinders the more power.

Rick

G

·
AmazonRacing said:
But now one of my good friends just got a mustang dyno. This thing is awesome! You can simulate any road conditions with it.
A true load factor is easily done also.

After this season I will be looking into a mustang dyno.
LOL Rick, you beat me to my question...I was going to ask what you guys thought about the Mustang, one of my local speedshops has a brand new 1750

·
400 Posts
My bud has 150k in his whole setup. I about shit myself when he told me that. Of coarse he has all the bells and whistles too. Still his 5 gas analizer is what really impressed me.

Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another tool is the Snap-On ears for listening to inaudible detonation. I've tuned on the road with a handheld WBO2 meter and the ears.

If I were to get tuned I would only use a Mustang dyno if it wern't on the road. I don't know where one is in Maryland, but I know Greg Banish @ Detroit Speedworks has one and I would trust him with anything I own.

G

·
Got Incon? said:
I don't know where one is in Maryland, but I know Greg Banish @ Detroit Speedworks has one and I would trust him with anything I own.
:D that's the guy I was referring to.....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Got Incon? said:
Another tool is the Snap-On ears for listening to inaudible detonation. I've tuned on the road with a handheld WBO2 meter and the ears.
That's a great point, a wideband can't pick up a bad spark map. To totally safeguard any tune, a knock sensor would also be ideal to get the TOTAL street tuning experience. Like a wideband, their not cheap either.

Remember, you can still detonate w/ a rich A/F ratio...

·
Banned
2,034 Posts
That is how JLP has always tuned my car and lightning on the road. And it works great!

·
Registered
603 Posts
yeah, I'm almost convinced the knock sensor is actually more important and the wideband would be a luxury...only to dial in max HP...

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you can get a knock sensor to work on an engine with a twin screw type blower mounted on it to work, you the man!

These blowers are just too noisy, I think.

Opinions? I know some of you tuners have thoughts on this...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts