Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not all true, pulling a heavy boat for almost five years might have something to do with it. The big thing is I had this tranny service ( fluid and filter ) only to find out that the place, Amco, didn't do it. The original tranny dip stick plug was still intact when tearing the unit down indicating it was not completed. Old tranny fluid and close to 10,000 lbs of gross towing did it in. The planatary unit and all gears were completly ate up. Look like broken glass all over the place but metal. Crunch, crunch...crunch.

The guy rebuiding it now who was the former manager but not during that service was able to verify, he had left Amco to start his own tranny business a couple of years ago. I think I am going to stop by Amco with the evidence and destroid parts, what ever is still indentifiable and have a little talk.

04 F150 Tranny RIP @82K miles.

Full rebuid/remanufacture tranny with better guts, shift kit, and BIGGER COOLING Radiator than the OE POS Tow package under way.

Lots of
$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
253 Posts
AMCO = my sig

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Ya know, the auto service industry has really disappointed me lately. My buddy went to two or three shops to get the 4X4 in his truck working but no one could figure out what was wrong with it .... finally they figured out a damn vacuum line was disconnected. Each shop tried to sell him a new $1500 transfer case though ...... hmmmmm.

BTW, ever considered a bigger truck? Was this 10K total weight or 10K trailer weight? ... I would think a 2500/F-250 with a diesel would handle it better?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its gross weight (truck and trailor) 10,400 lbs , which I'm about at 9800 lbs.
BTW, It was not AMCO that did the oil/fitler change. I finally found the receipt today and I had taken it to FORD Dealer ship here in Slidell, La almost two years ago. Guess who I will be talking to tomorrow?

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you had the service completed at ford. They usually don't change the filter, and never drain the fluid.After reading that you are most likely saying WTF!!!!! What they do is put a connection between the trans cooler line and the radiator. Then they use a machine that pumps in the new fluid and that pushes out the old. The tech knows when the service is completed by a sight glass that you use to look for clean fluid passing through it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you had the service completed at ford. They usually don't change the filter, and never drain the fluid.After reading that you are most likely saying WTF!!!!! What they do is put a connection between the trans cooler line and the radiator. Then they use a machine that pumps in the new fluid and that pushes out the old. The tech knows when the service is completed by a sight glass that you use to look for clean fluid passing through it.
Yep that is correct. I found out today from a couple of tech friends who work at Advantage Ford here in New Orleans that they went away from the filter and pan drop a few years ago. This is something the adverage garage tech evidentally isn't aware of. I was asking the shop foreman and Service manager here in Slidell, La WTF. Man I felt :dumb:. This was the shop that did the service, my apologies.

My older brother didn't even inform me of this process but he works on chevy's mostly. He doesn't have a clue about fords which absolutly cracks me up. I have found that Fords tend to be easier to work on. Anyway, I assume that GM has a similiar procedure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have rebuilt many 04 and up f150's with the 4r70w and 4r75e trans with the plantary gearset destroyed. The early stages of this happening is usualy the customer complains of a gear wine. The early stages before it destroyes itself is the metal comes apart. Like pit marks in the pinions and sungear. They have to be a bad or soft metal. I have done them at 15000 miles and some of the trucks never had a trailer on them. At this time ford still does not have any tsb or ssm on updated gear sets. As for the trans service I work at a ford dealer and I still drop the pan and change the filter. This way you can see if there is heavy metal contamination in it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have rebuilt many 04 and up f150's with the 4r70w and 4r75e trans with the plantary gearset destroyed. The early stages of this happening is usualy the customer complains of a gear wine. The early stages before it destroyes itself is the metal comes apart. Like pit marks in the pinions and sungear. They have to be a bad or soft metal. I have done them at 15000 miles and some of the trucks never had a trailer on them. At this time ford still does not have any tsb or ssm on updated gear sets. As for the trans service I work at a ford dealer and I still drop the pan and change the filter. This way you can see if there is heavy metal contamination in it.
The more I dig into this, Investigate, the more symptomatic historical info I find. My older brother who is a master tech mentioned the high failure rates of this model of tranny in the new F150. Funny thing is, 2 out of three dealerships I have posed this question to have indicated no real problems, LIE, My two friends at the other dealership said yeah, there's a problem. Yes this truck had the whine problem with two new r/p units replaced under warranty, this did very little. It has always had two little clunks upon initial exccelleration from a stop. However, a couple of years ago when I installed the Diablo 93 oct tune it became less apparent. I can see where Ford has mitigated this tranny problem well...hush hush

So these F150 4r70w series trannies are lemons.

My brother has noticed this issue of design flaws and less quality of metal (China crap metal). He said Ford is not the only one with problems, other auto makers domestic in abroad, Oriental or European have issues as well with trannies.
has been working in shops/dealerships since ~ 1976. They don't makem like they use to.

Anyway, the new tranny from Colman/Taylor is now been installed. David the rep I spoke with had more info to share. They evalute the transmission design and make many changes to the internal guts and valve body as well as tranny cooler. Ford indicated to me they don't even use the same cooler from the factory, they have upgrade ones with the new remanufactured trannies which now carry a 3yr 75k mile warranty.

That my man is a admission that the intial design was severely flawed!

Way to go FORD! Great risk mitigation fer sure.

You got to love it when you've been played...hear the violin.

Thanks Boosted for the INFO!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The local dealers do the same thing. They dont change the filter or even drop the pan to clean the magnet. Its known as the "smoke and mirrors trans service" around here. And they charge more than the full service! At my shop we always change the filter and clean the magnet. Would you change engine oil and not the filter?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My truck is a 2004 5.4 3v Supercrew don't think it is a heritage model. When I bought it it was outfitted from Ford with the tow package. Coleman Taylor is were I got the Remanufactred tarnny and the sent a newcooler rated at 28k lb. tow capacity with some mounting hardware and hoses. The Tranny place were it was being installed had also procured one from Ford. We compared both coolers and both were bigger than the original however, the Ford one was a simple r/r compared with the Coleman Taylor one which needed a little finageling. I spoke with the Shop supervisor and service manager at the dealership and parts and they all informed me that the new cooler had been inhanced.

·
Registered
259 Posts
After my Cottman/Aamco Transmission experience, I wouldnt recommend them to my worst enemy. I had a 96 Explorer that I took in for some minor work (a slight hesitation when going into gear when it was cold out). After letting them talk me into a full rebuild ($1600), the transmission was even worse. I took the vehicle back to them atleast 5 times, just to have them say it didnt recreate the symptoms, which there were many. I even let the owner have it for the weekend to drive it around. I finally had to go somewhere else to have the transmission built again. The owner of the second shop said he couldnt believe how badly the tranny was put together by Aamco. (I cracked two flexplates in a year because of a crooked input shaft binding on the torque converter therefore binding on the flexplate..)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts