Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you may have been reading my threads about my T56 shifting issues, and after trying Royal Purples Synchromax fluid and now Pennzoil's Synchromesh, on top of everthing else I've thrown at it, it is still hard to shift under hard acceleration. I test drove another 06 M6 Gto today and speedshifted the car through third gear three times without missing a shift and it felt great compared to my Cobra, "as far as the shifting is concerned". Will a GM T56 out of a wrecked Vette or GTO work in our cars without a boat load of drama, or should I look into upgrading to the triple synchros wich costs well over 2K. I'm guessing there are a few wrecked GTO's that could donate a good T56 for way less than 2K, but would it work???

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're having a hard time shifting @ WOT are you sure your clutch is properly adjusted? Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
the reason why it feels so much better is because i think the t-56 in there cars have a hydraulic clutch so to make it work in a cobra will be a pain.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the clutch certainly feels smoother in the GTO as well because of the throwout bearing, but I adjusted mine to disengage so far that I was afraid it was going to slip at Wot, and it still fought me the whole way and it disengaged VERY far, but yes The GM's hydraulic throwout bearing is an improvement as well IMO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could swap a hydraulic clutch in the Ford. I'm doing that now. I think the Camaro T56 is weaker than the Ford, not sure about the GTO T56 but I do know the GTO T56 go for more $$$ than what you'd expect. Corvette T56 won't work, its is a rear mounted, integral with the diff. I think the Cadillac CTS uses the same T56 as the GTO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts