Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my never ending search for traction I was considering using a 15" or 16" bfg drag radial. My question is will a stock rear axle, rear end, ect take the added stress produced by the added traction? Sorry for the stupid question.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't mind me asking where did you get your rims and how much were they? Also, what backspacing ect do you run to make them fit? Did they clear the rear breaks ect? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mine did as well

My car also held up tp some pretty harsh abuse on 15" DR's.. Alot of trips to the track with 4500 rpm launches with nitrous spraying off the line and 1.8 60's...

·
Registered
108 Posts
yeah...

...I ran BFG 235/60/15 my first two years (Dennis, you still got 'em?):eek:
also, get a 8.8 rear cover girdle... I beleive it helps out a TON:D
there is G/P underway over at that other place:jawdrop

Randy

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the other place? forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i don't see why a stock rear 8.8 wouldn't take a pair of DR's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was worried about the axles more then anything else holding up to the added stress of the dr's. It seems that the axles will hold and be fine. Where is the best place to purchase 15" wheels to clear the stock breaks and such, also what offset ect should I get. Which is better Nitto dr's or the BFG's?

·
Registered
23 Posts
99 GT Coupe said:
I was worried about the axles more then anything else holding up to the added stress of the dr's. It seems that the axles will hold and be fine. Where is the best place to purchase 15" wheels to clear the stock breaks and such, also what offset ect should I get. Which is better Nitto dr's or the BFG's?
i got mine from Summitracing.

rears have 5.5" backspacing. fronts have a 7/16" spacer.

i have the BFG DR's and they work great. i think they hook up way better than the Nitto DR's since the BFG's are softer and don't have a tread wear number thing, not like Nittos that have 100 tread wear...

BFG's don't last as long as Nitto's in normal driving conditions.

its all up to you i guess. Nitto's are a bit more expensive than the BFG DR's.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the rear rims. I was planing on running the dr's on the rear and my stock 17's up front.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There was a local guy here with a Bullitt that snapped an axle using 15" BFG DR's on his first time out. Granted not common but not impossible. I would be more worried about the differential than anything. I know of more failures there than with axles. Regardless if your going to beat on the car have the money or parts to fix it.

Bill

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will the stress placed on the rear end/axle be lessend by runing 17" dr's instead of 15" drs?

·
Registered
289 Posts
99 GT Coupe said:
Will the stress placed on the rear end/axle be lessend by runing 17" dr's instead of 15" drs?
Yes it would.

Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
why don't you just beef up your rearend now ?just go be on the safer side.

if it doesn't help you out at the track now it sure will in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts