Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Your factory Ford clutch will not hold up forever. As long as you put a clutch back in there that's up to spec, or greater, than the factory piece, then you'll be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was just wondering because most of the aftermarket clutches have heavy or xtream duty pressure plates and i thought that Ford might say, "this pressure plate grips the transmission to hard and that is what caused the transmission to fail" or some BS like that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
TopRacer said:
i was just wondering because most of the aftermarket clutches have heavy or xtream duty pressure plates and i thought that Ford might say, "this pressure plate grips the transmission to hard and that is what caused the transmission to fail" or some BS like that...
Your thinking is sane. I'd get a Ford heavy duty clutch and run with that until your warranty is up. Better yet, I'd call your servive manager and ask him what clutch he recommends that won't void the warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bullitt #3441 said:
Your thinking is sane. I'd get a Ford heavy duty clutch and run with that until your warranty is up. Better yet, I'd call your servive manager and ask him what clutch he recommends that won't void the warranty.
Good suggestion... i guess ill just call him and find out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
just wondering if you contacted your dealer about a clutch recommendation? I have an 03 with 4k miles and usually get clutch slippage at WOT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pgordon said:
just wondering if you contacted your dealer about a clutch recommendation? I have an 03 with 4k miles and usually get clutch slippage at WOT.
I will call him today...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
pgordon said:
just wondering if you contacted your dealer about a clutch recommendation? I have an 03 with 4k miles and usually get clutch slippage at WOT.
I'd say that's a warranty issue. Bring it in before you pile on any more miles and tell them to replace the clutch under warranty. I doubt they'll give you any hassle with only 4k miles on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. I test drove 2 different 03 Cobras, my car and another and each time the dealer told me that the clutch is not covered under warranty. I have not done any high rpm launches, maybe a few around 1500 rpm. My last car, the clutch lasted 140k miles and actually the pressure plate finally gave out, clutch lining was still good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt that you will get it covered under warrenty... Hammer had to replace his at 5k (im not sure of his mods at the time)... i just think that this clutch sucks for the car and we have to live with it...

Someone check me on this, but if its just the disc then could you only replace the disc or is it better to replace the pressure plate also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I talked to the service manager SVT dealer and he said it will be covered, car has 3900 miles on it. I still will be surprised if it is covered as once they check out the car they may want to make some money and replace the clutch for a good chunk of change. I am thinking the clamping force not be good enough as it has not grabbed good enough since new. The car drives ok just under heavy acceloration you can smell the clutch burning, especially higher rpms. I have been taking it easy since it is currently my daily driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Assuming you stock or close to it, the clutch shouldn't be slipping at WOT - sounds like it is not fully engaging and needs to be adjusted. Having said that, the clutch usually only needs to be adjusted as it wears (and the engagement point is closer to the floor). :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
yes that would be nice if just an adjustment would take care of it. It is all stock except a drop in K and N air filter. Not sure if the stock cable has much of an adjustment.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top