Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Will my powertrain warrenty be voided if I install aftermarket clutch?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  pgordon 
#1 ·
Will my powertrain warrenty be voided if I install aftermarket clutch?

#3 ·
i was just wondering because most of the aftermarket clutches have heavy or xtream duty pressure plates and i thought that Ford might say, "this pressure plate grips the transmission to hard and that is what caused the transmission to fail" or some BS like that...

#6 ·
TopRacer said:
i was just wondering because most of the aftermarket clutches have heavy or xtream duty pressure plates and i thought that Ford might say, "this pressure plate grips the transmission to hard and that is what caused the transmission to fail" or some BS like that...
Your thinking is sane. I'd get a Ford heavy duty clutch and run with that until your warranty is up. Better yet, I'd call your servive manager and ask him what clutch he recommends that won't void the warranty.

#11 ·
Sounds like a good idea. I test drove 2 different 03 Cobras, my car and another and each time the dealer told me that the clutch is not covered under warranty. I have not done any high rpm launches, maybe a few around 1500 rpm. My last car, the clutch lasted 140k miles and actually the pressure plate finally gave out, clutch lining was still good.

#12 ·
I doubt that you will get it covered under warrenty... Hammer had to replace his at 5k (im not sure of his mods at the time)... i just think that this clutch sucks for the car and we have to live with it...

Someone check me on this, but if its just the disc then could you only replace the disc or is it better to replace the pressure plate also?

#13 ·
I talked to the service manager SVT dealer and he said it will be covered, car has 3900 miles on it. I still will be surprised if it is covered as once they check out the car they may want to make some money and replace the clutch for a good chunk of change. I am thinking the clamping force not be good enough as it has not grabbed good enough since new. The car drives ok just under heavy acceloration you can smell the clutch burning, especially higher rpms. I have been taking it easy since it is currently my daily driver.

#14 ·
Assuming you stock or close to it, the clutch shouldn't be slipping at WOT - sounds like it is not fully engaging and needs to be adjusted. Having said that, the clutch usually only needs to be adjusted as it wears (and the engagement point is closer to the floor). :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.