Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I am doing all my mods this weekend and hope to get my Mark VIII fan installed. What is the best options to wire this bad boy. My options are plug it in to the stock harness and run it full all the time. Or getting a fan controller. Anyone know of a good fan controller?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ok I am doing all my mods this weekend and hope to get my Mark VIII fan installed. What is the best options to wire this bad boy. My options are plug it in to the stock harness and run it full all the time. Or getting a fan controller. Anyone know of a good fan controller?
I wired mine to run on high speed all the time. I try and use the k.i.s.s. (keep it simple stupid) method. Just one less thing to go wrong.

·
Administrator
1965 SPF 427 Cobra, & 2022 BMW M850
9,484 Posts
MK VIII Fan Controller

Godstang,

You need a fan controller because of the power draw and other 'things'. On high that fan has a peak draw of 40 amps or so and moves something like 5000 CFM. This takes lots of power.

The SPAL folks make some pretty neat pulse width modulation PWM controllers that provide a seamless match of fan speed to engine temperature instead of just high and low speed. Here is a link to some on ebay => http://motors.shop.ebay.com:80/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__SPAL-Controller_W0QQ_fxdZ1QQ_ptasZ1

Ed

p.s. That is the fan to end all fans. Don't forget to get the power pig tail from Ford or the bone yard. Makes installation a lot easier. And, and, and don't forget to use heavy gauge wire all the way to the power source, 40 amps is impressive.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Godstang,

You need a fan controller because of the power draw and other 'things'. On high that fan has a peak draw of 40 amps or so and moves something like 5000 CFM. This takes lots of power.

The SPAL folks make some pretty neat pulse width modulation PWM controllers that provide a seamless match of fan speed to engine temperature instead of just high and low speed. Here is a link to some on ebay => http://motors.shop.ebay.com:80/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__SPAL-Controller_W0QQ_fxdZ1QQ_ptasZ1

Ed

p.s. That is the fan to end all fans. Don't forget to get the power pig tail from Ford or the bone yard. Makes installation a lot easier. And, and, and don't forget to use heavy gauge wire all the way to the power source, 40 amps is impressive.
There are two different fans, one is from 93-96 and the other is 97-98. The 97-98 is the highest moving cfm and the 93-96 is the second highest moving fan. I have both of them and the 97-98 flows alot more cfms then the 93-96 units.

When i get my engine installed i will see what the current drop is when the fan turns on.

·
Administrator
9,484 Posts
There are two different fans, one is from 93-96 and the other is 97-98. The 97-98 is the highest moving cfm and the 93-96 is the second highest moving fan. ...
The early fan is around 2500/3000 CFM on low speed and about 4000 cfm on high speed. The big boy is the 97/98 unit. It's about 3500 cfm on low and a whopping 5000 cfm on high. He also uses significantly more power to move all that air - big surprise. The 97/98 unit will suck the bumper off the back of the car in front of you if you get too close! Figuratively speaking of course ...

The 97/98 unit needs a fan controller but it will cool you in the middle of the Sahara. The earlier little guy ought to have a fan controller just to make him last not to mention the improvement in noise reduction and underhood working conditions when the motor is on.

Ed

·
Registered
402 Posts
The early fan is around 2500/3000 CFM on low speed and about 4000 cfm on high speed. The big boy is the 97/98 unit. It's about 3500 cfm on low and a whopping 5000 cfm on high. He also uses significantly more power to move all that air - big surprise. The 97/98 unit will suck the bumper off the back of the car in front of you if you get too close! Figuratively speaking of course ...

The 97/98 unit needs a fan controller but it will cool you in the middle of the Sahara. The earlier little guy ought to have a fan controller just to make him last not to mention the improvement in noise reduction and underhood working conditions when the motor is on.

Ed
Do you know the rating on a 03/04 cobra fan?

·
Administrator
9,484 Posts
Do you know the rating on a 03/04 cobra fan?
Diablito,

I did at one time but it has faded in my memory. I want to say 2500 or 2750 but I just can't recall for sure. Anyone else out there know?

Ed

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
Is this a "bolt in" besides for the wiring disaster?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Is this a "bolt in" besides for the wiring disaster?
It's not a bolt-in. Some trimming of the shroud is needed along fabbing up some mounts so that it bolts-injust like stock.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Godstang,

Ed

You don't need the fan controller. Its a nice to have but there is no specific need for it. The stock Ford wiring for the original fan is fine. The wiring harness/pigtail from the bone yard is a great idea. Let the EEC control the on/off function and don't worry about the low speed functionally. The EEC will just shut the fan down earlier when it detects enough cooling.

3 plus years with my setup wired to the stock setup. You'll be happy as-is.

One other point, trimming the fan is necessary for 99-04 Cobra's but you also reduce the the peak cooling capacity of the fan setup. Its designed for the air mass flow rate as a system, fan blade pitch, number of blades, motor torque and shrouding setup. Change any one of them and there is a net reduction in overall capability.

Mechanical fans connected to the crankshaft cool significantly better than any 12V electric fan but the Mark VIII still seems to be the king in flow that I've heard of.

·
Registered
402 Posts
One other point, trimming the fan is necessary for 99-04 Cobra's but you also reduce the the peak cooling capacity of the fan setup. Its designed for the air mass flow rate as a system, fan blade pitch, number of blades, motor torque and shrouding setup. Change any one of them and there is a net reduction in overall capability.
Maynor,
After reading your posts on this subject is when i started looking for the mark8 fan. Thanks.

The trimming i had to do was only for clearance for the h/e and radiator reservoirs. I did not have to make it smaller. I did have to cut one bottom corner to install it but i added some metal and put the piece back.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am using the stock wiring also. I talked to Maynor on the corral a long time ago and ot it all figured out. I ended up triming about 1/2 inch off of the shroud and triming a lil off one corner. I would like to find a 50A relay to use instead of the stock wiring, but the stock wiring doesnt get hot so Im not going to worry abotu it for the time being.

One Note!!!

Make sure you wire it to the high speed circuit on the stock wiring. On my car I had it wired to the low speed circuit, but when it passed the threshold for the high speed circuit it would turn off because its a complelty different circuit than the high speed. SO wire it to the high speed. Worked great. Damn sure cools good and moves alot of air!

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
how about some part numbers and/or pics guys!!!

and the wiring setups.

Im very interested in this!

·
Registered
587 Posts
When would there be a need for the MKVIII Fan? I've had them in the past on my 1st gen, but haven't seen any high temperatures with the '03 even in the summer heat. Are these a road racing application?

·
Administrator
9,484 Posts
how about some part numbers and/or pics guys!!!

and the wiring setups.

Im very interested in this!
Here is a very good write up (with pictures) on the installation of the fan. The part number is in the first paragraph. Pay special attention to the installation of the freewheeling diode. It is important - as you will discover. For those who choose not to use the SPAL PWM controller there is a very simple yet very robust Bosch relay alternative described in the article.

Here is the link => http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/Auto/MarkVIII_Fan.htm

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
When would there be a need for the MKVIII Fan? I've had them in the past on my 1st gen, but haven't seen any high temperatures with the '03 even in the summer heat. Are these a road racing application?
this year I started turning my fan on after a pass in the pits for 5-10 minutes to help it cool down quicker. I would think this would benifit in that fashion?

·
Registered
402 Posts
My car never got hot in traffic but my concern was at slower speeds and faster cool down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.