1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Sounds like a Chevy Commercial...Over estimateing the Vette and under estimateing the Cobra..
Veiled atempt at being non biased:shootbird

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah seriously, that was a waste of my time. The First let me say, I hate Vipers, I think they are ugly over priced junk. It may be fast but $80,000 for a Dodge>??? No way in my book. I like Z06's they are neat but too pricey for me. They say they can over look the crappy interior of the Vette because it is so affordable, yet they bad mouth the interior of the Cobra which costs $15,000 less and has a back seat. Also 13.6 in the 1/4>??? I think my 11yr old little brother could dirve a Cobra to better times. They can do all the tests they want, I love my Cobra and wouldn't give it up for anyone of those cars. Sorry, -Mat-

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I stopped watching after they said the Cobra ran 13.6 in the quarter. Such blasphemy!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah really! who was driving the cobra at the drag strip, Richard Simmons??

I have to say the Z06 does come out looking good in alot of mag and TV test but to put the Cobra with it's price against to of the high price guys isn't really a good comparison.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Got to agree with you Harry. Not a very impressive advertisement for Ford or our beloved cars. Who knows....it might have been Richard Simmons.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow.. they managed a 12 flat with the Viper but a 13.6 with the Cobra.. are they TRYING to **** up the car?

I agree tho.. the brakes ARE kinda weak for a car this heavy, and it is very predictable in the turns.

but for the price what do you want?

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
First of all, putting the 03 cobra against the so called american "supercars" already shows how much the mustang has improved. Remember (only in the mags) when we were losing to the Camaro's and firebirds? Especially 99-01. I am proud that our $35,000 car is going up against the brand new Z06 and 80k viper.

Second, its just like the supra. You didn't see any mags going crazy over that car and putting it up against the exotics, you know why? Because like our car, its restricted from the factory but has alot of potential once its modded. But none of the pansy mags talk about that. They never mention that the cobra's stock engine will handle more hp than the vette, or how the cobra can handle twice as much boost. The cobra wasn't made to be the fastest stock car, it was made to give us the best performance per dollar and give us a car with a great engine to mod.

Lastly, they ruined the video by speeding up the scenes, that is the worst thing. Sometime I wish we would follow what the japanese do. They take their cars (supra/skyline/silvia) or they will take exotics (911 turbo/modena/viper) and then they will just put all those cars on a road coarse and see who wins. Then, they will mod the cars, up the boost on the supra and put on better brakes/springs/ ect and see which car is better modded. Thats the way to do it. You can order these videos online, they are pretty cool sometimes. No stupid scenes of one car just cruising around and then scenes in fast foward to look "cool".

·
Registered
440 Posts
13.6 In the Quarter Mike

Stock the best my car would run was 13.6 @ 106 mph.

Some of the Eaton blowers on the Cobras are loose with a lot of internal blow by. My car pulled the short straw and got one of these. Stock the most boost it would make was 7-1/2 pounds. Ford would do nothing for me the car was down 25 hp. Still is, even with Mods. I should be making 475 hp with my mods and 14 psi boost. Car only makes 12.5 psi / 450 RWHP with 4 lb lower , 3.1 upper. As I plan on going the twin screw route, I don't really care anymore.

Good for Edmunds getting hold of a weak car and exposing the inconsistent performance of these cars. I think Ford made sure all the Cobra's the mags tested before were strong ones. Some cars will make +9 psi stock. I really hope Ford could be more consistent.

It is kind of funny how they forgave the Vette interior and slammed the Stang.

Mike69440

·
Registered
11 Posts
you guys remember in NASCAR in the late 60's early 70's when ever any other company other than chevy got an advantage they changed the rules to either force them to share the technology or make it so you had to make more cars to be able to race them. I think chevy is rather prone to getting some prefered treatment, I've driven a 2002 z06 and wasn't all that impressed when it comes down to it, thats a car that any yuppie can have and have fun with. . .I'm not a yuppie, and dropping 55k for a car is a load of crap, if I was spending that much on a car I'd get a saleen atleast then you don't ever pull up to another car like yours and a new saleen will blow away vettes, if you can drive a cobra it will dust a z06 vette. . .chevy was stupid for getting rid of the f-body, now they're pref. cars either suck horrible or are too over priced

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Wow, that's an awesome video!

I think that the article was perfectly done. Edmunds has preserved our status as underdog. And they've done something much more valuable for us!

They've given those Mopar and Bow-Tie girls a false sense of security.

"My Vette ran a 13.2 at the track...but it's still faster than those 03 Cobras"

That's right, baby. We third place and SLOW!!!!!!! Don't be scared to race us!!

:hammer

Kuddos on that article!

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah, maybe the prices will go down on them because of that article, that would be nice, vettes still suck, and when you race a viper on the street if you ever decide to do something crazy like that, it will come down more to balls than anything else

·
Registered
96 Posts
LOL,

The video "article" just reinforces why I only use Edmunds for princing info (information that they do not create, only report) and nothing else. They called the Viper "raw". What a bunch of pantywaists. LOL

Their inconsistencies are huge...they knock the interior on the Mustang and praise it for value and put it in third place, but then knock the interior on the Vette and praise it for value and put it in first place. I understand that there are other factors, but this is a little ridiculous.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: 13.6 In the Quarter Mike

mike69440 said:
Stock the best my car would run was 13.6 @ 106 mph.

Some of the Eaton blowers on the Cobras are loose with a lot of internal blow by. My car pulled the short straw and got one of these. Stock the most boost it would make was 7-1/2 pounds. Ford would do nothing for me the car was down 25 hp. Still is, even with Mods. I should be making 475 hp with my mods and 14 psi boost. Car only makes 12.5 psi / 450 RWHP with 4 lb lower , 3.1 upper. As I plan on going the twin screw route, I don't really care anymore.

Good for Edmunds getting hold of a weak car and exposing the inconsistent performance of these cars. I think Ford made sure all the Cobra's the mags tested before were strong ones. Some cars will make +9 psi stock. I really hope Ford could be more consistent.

It is kind of funny how they forgave the Vette interior and slammed the Stang.

Mike69440
Mike,

When you tested your car's boost did you have the stock exhaust on or the qmp? I remember having a discussion about this topic at ne dyno, but I'm not buying it. I'm pretty sure it has to do with your exhaust. I lost over a pound of boost putting on my bassani exhaust.

option A) for 80k you can have 1 viper or 2 cobras with mods that will destroy both cars and have a back seat.

option B) for 50k you can have 1 cobra, a fat bank account and the mods that will destroy both cars and have a back seat.

option C) for 35k +5 in mods you can have a cobra that will destroy both cars and have a back seat.

option D) for 35k you can have a car that can stomp pretty much everything on the street except the z06, viper, and other heavily modified cars and have a back seat.

I myself like option C.

·
Registered
492 Posts
hj16 said:
I stopped watching after they said the Cobra ran 13.6 in the quarter. Such blasphemy!!!!!!!!!
same as me as soon as i saw that, i clicked the little x , my bone stock ws6 ran a 13.5 in the quarter and the cobra is way faster than that

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I went 12.7 @ 110 and 12.90 and then 12.87 at atco so they can't drive. That was last year and that was stock with 186 miles on the car. Also that was in 70 degree weather and on a friday nite.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all the times seem to be off...especially the Cobra's. Maybe they are at a high sealevel...like 5000 or something? Thats the only way I could see the Cobra being that slow, stock.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Responding to Bassin's Boost question.

I installed the QMP exhaust after I installed the 3.1 upper with a stock lower.

With the stock exhaust my boost went from 7 to 7.5 to 10.5 to 11 with a 3.1 pulley.

When I installed the qmp with the 3.1 lower, the boost was barely 10 lbs.

I then installed the 2 lb lower and the set of 100MM idlers with a new belt.

Boost went back up to 11 to 11.5 psi.

Finally went to 4 lb lower with 3.1 upper for the 12.5 psi boost I have now.

Chips were reburned with each change.

I have seen a about 12 dyno runs of stock cars. The higher the boost, the higher the hp. Range is betwwen 345-390hp.
The average car makes about 8-8.5 lbs boost and 370 hp. The 390 hp cars all pushed the boost gage between th two right marks of the gage.

I am waiting for the "Works" blower to enter the market. I understand Works is a one man operation, a former Eaton engineer who is developing the EATON/Whipple 2.2L Lyschom screw to fit the Cobra.

Mike69440

Ps Z06 will eat a Cobra at Autocross. Stock Sprung C5 is not much better than Cobra, if it's any better at all.

Yes, not to shabby for a 20 year old chassis!

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Umm...my 2001 runs 13.6 in the quarter mile.

It does speak well for Ford that their entry is based on a V6 production car on a 20 year old chassis. The Viper and 'vette are built from the ground up to be supercars. For twice the price, I would expect the Z06 and Viper to smoke the Cobra. They don't.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts